Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Egg Drop Soup

skymile

Post Sat, Feb 07 2009, 11:42 pm
how do I make an egg drop soup? I tried looking it up on the web, but the ingredients include "chicken broth". I don't have a clue what that is... I really love it, but it's too expensive to just buy on a whim- so I wanna try to make it at home- help!

bnm

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 12:49 am
chicken broth is chicken soup. make a double batch for shabbos and put away half.

There is a good recipe in the pesach spice and spirit. basically its eggs and cornstarch mixture that you drop into the hot soup with a fork. and if you live in Boro Park, the Chinese store across from Dougies sells a 2 pound container for about $3.50

Seraph

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 8:49 am
if you have chicken soup mix, make some of that and you have chicken broth. I'd suggest not using shabbos chicken soup, bec it has quite a different taste than chinese chicken broth.

4 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp soy sauce

Bring to boil

Take two eggs, beat them in cup.

Turn off fire.

Add eggs, mix in soup.
Let sit five minutes.
Add scallions.

Its really yummy!

skymile

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 9:35 am
tomato paste? soy sauce? none of the recipes I saw had those... they did include cornstarch, though... with those extra ingredients it must come out with a 'zing'. no?

Seraph

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 9:56 am
I got it from my cookbook "chinese kosher cooking", made it when I had guests, and it was really a hit; the guests even asked me for my recipe.

sandwich

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 10:48 am
They sell egg drop soup mix in a box its pretty good it's made by Croyden House.
I buy it in Shoprite.
http://www.netgrocer.com/pd/Ne.....2D462

bnm

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 11:57 am
Seraph wrote:
if you have chicken soup mix, make some of that and you have chicken broth. I'd suggest not using shabbos chicken soup, bec it has quite a different taste than chinese chicken broth.

4 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp soy sauce

Bring to boil

Turn off fire.

Add eggs, mix in soup.
Let sit five minutes.
Add scallions.

Its really yummy!

can I use ketchup instead of tomato paste?

Seraph

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 1:08 pm
I really don't think so. tomato paste is easy to get.... why not use that?

bnm

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 3:19 pm
Seraph wrote:
I really don't think so. tomato paste is easy to get.... why not use that?

Because my husband isn't a picky eater but tomato paste and tomato juice are NOT allowed to enter the house, they are his only no-nos.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 3:25 pm
You can make an authentic Chinese broth with chicken bones, some garlic cloves, and some slices of fresh ginger. Then after you strain it, you can take some of the broth, heat it up, add some cornstarch, and then a beaten egg with a fork. When you serve the soup, sprinkle on some sliced scallions, yum, or some dried chives.
I actually have an exact recipe for the broth, and then a separate one for the egg drop soup. I can post them if you want.
But though the recipes look quite complicated, egg drop soup is quite simple. Just use the recipes as a guideline to make your own.

bnm

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 6:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You can make an authentic Chinese broth with chicken bones, some garlic cloves, and some slices of fresh ginger. Then after you strain it, you can take some of the broth, heat it up, add some cornstarch, and then a beaten egg with a fork. When you serve the soup, sprinkle on some sliced scallions, yum, or some dried chives.
I actually have an exact recipe for the broth, and then a separate one for the egg drop soup. I can post them if you want.
But though the recipes look quite complicated, egg drop soup is quite simple. Just use the recipes as a guideline to make your own.

please post it, I like knowing exact amounts. the ones that I found thru google had wine and other weird stuff in it.

june21

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 6:50 pm
try this:
once the chicken broth is boiling add, soy sauce and some ginger, then add egg while mixing with a fork.
you can also add some corn starch to make it thinker but its really unecesary unless you like it....

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 10:45 am
bnm wrote:
please post it, I like knowing exact amounts. the ones that I found thru google had wine and other weird stuff in it.

Egg Drop Soup
Ingredients:
• 4 cups chicken broth or stock
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1-2 scallions, minced
• ¼ tsp white pepper
• salt to taste
• few drops sesame oil (optional)
• 2-3 Tbsp cornstarch
• 4-6 Tbsp cold water
Preparation:
In a wok or saucepan, bring 4 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Add white pepper and salt, and the sesame oil, if using. Cook for about another minute.
Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Very slowly, pour in the eggs in a steady stream.
To make shreds, stir in the eggs rapidly in a clockwise direction for one minute. To make thin streams or ribbons, gently stir in the eggs in a clockwise direction until they form.
Remove from heat; garnish with scallions, and serve.

Chinese Chicken Stock
Ingredients:
• 3 lbs. chicken pieces (backs, necks or wings)
• 10 cups cold water
• 3 slices fresh ginger
• 2 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 Tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
• Salt, to taste
• Black pepper, to taste (optional)
Preparation:
Rinse chicken pieces under running water. Place in a large pot with 10 cups water (or enough to cover.) Add ginger, scallions, rice wine or sherry. Bring to a boil over medium heat, occasionally skimming off the foam that rises to the top.
Add salt to taste and black pepper if desired.
Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours.
Strain the broth and use as called for in recipes.
Yield: 8 cups

(I use chicken bones for the 3 pounds of chicken parts.
I have left out the sherry almost every time, so you can omit it if you'd like.
And I make this often with a good batch of clear chicken soup as well.)

BennysMommy

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 11:48 am
june21 wrote:
try this:
once the chicken broth is boiling add, soy sauce and some ginger, then add egg while mixing with a fork.
you can also add some corn starch to make it thinker but its really unecesary unless you like it....

That's how I do it! It's delicious! I also add some scallions to the bowl when I'm ready to serve.

yikes!

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 7:39 pm
Seraph wrote:

4 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp soy sauce

Bring to boil

Turn off fire.

Add eggs, mix in soup.
Let sit five minutes.
Add scallions.

Its really yummy!

Thanks a lot, Seraph! I tried it today and it was really good! I finally had something "different" for dinner.

Riffy

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 5:34 am
Do you think I can freeze the egg drop soup?

helena

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 10:29 am
yikes! wrote:
Seraph wrote:

4 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp soy sauce

Bring to boil

Turn off fire.

Add eggs, mix in soup.
Let sit five minutes.
Add scallions.

Its really yummy!

Thanks a lot, Seraph! I tried it today and it was really good! I finally had something "different" for dinner.

I really want to make this soup
how much powder do I put for 1 glass of water?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics