Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Must girls go to shul on Shabbos?
Previous  1  2

Simple1

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 11:23 am
amother, funny you mentioned Lakewood, bec that's where I live. There are some very nice shuls here and there but it would be more of a walk.

Simple1

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 11:25 am
mini wrote:
No

That's a nice straight answer!

Tefila

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 2:46 pm
B'h

Well let me ask you this, girls that don't go to shul what are they doing at home?
I am not that fantastic myself, however I do try and get my girls to go too.
It only adds to my spirituality and the kids when we do go.

Imho Rather the girls should go now, because when married and babies they won't have that opportunity
I do agree with your Mom, that being said I would not go to that shul, but one that fully caters for women to women s needs.

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 16 2010, 11:48 am
Girls go to shul at our shul. The ezrat nashim is spacious and welcoming, so girls (and women) actually want to go.

If the ezrat nashim was cramped with lousy acoustics, then I suppose I wouldn't go either. Then again, I'd probably not join a shul where women are not able to daven comfortably.

Raisin

Post Sat, Oct 16 2010, 11:50 am
Simple1 wrote:
amother, funny you mentioned Lakewood, bec that's where I live. There are some very nice shuls here and there but it would be more of a walk.

if your daughters chinuch is important to dh would he consider switching shuls? (not that your dds need to go to the same shul as him but it might encourage them)

amother

Post Sat, Oct 16 2010, 2:38 pm
Its interesting that you asked this simple because this has become the latest topic in our home too.
As a girl I went to shul with my family (mother aswell) from age 8-18 when I left home. I actually hated going because the average age of the shul members was 102, not exaggerating much. But my mother made us go. In a way I am happy though because now I can walk into shul and know what they are saying, I know the tunes, I know when to stand, when to bow, when to sit, when not to walk out etc. I dont feel an ignoramous.

My girls are teens and preteens and younger. Till now they went on RH and YK. Now my dh has made a declaration that all girls in his household have to go to shul. Yikes....they are not happy because until now they slept till 11am (I also don't agree with this but I let it slide). So now everyone is in shul by mid shacharis, whether they like it or not. I agree they should go, but I feel bad for them because the shul is not so close to us, but dh wants them in his shul so they can hear him duchan. Sigh, maybeif it was nearer they would be happier.....

but to answer your question, yes our girls (now) go to shul on shabbes.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Oct 16 2010, 2:55 pm
I went growing up and I will go with my daughter when she is old enough to sit in shul and daven. if that is 6 years or 10, I feel that by the time she is bat mitzva it is a must to be in shul. that is why we start going before the age of 12, to teach them what they have to do.
I never felt like going to shul was some sort of punishment or anything like that. I loved going to shul with my mother on shabbat morning, probably from age 6 or so.
and as I got older I also went on friday night (I love lecha dodi)

curlyhead

Post Sat, Oct 16 2010, 3:13 pm
When I was in high school (which most students were out-of-towners) we were encouraged to go to shul on Shabbos. There was a grade on our report card for shul attendence. We had to fill out weekly form of when we came to shul.

Simple1

Post Sat, Oct 16 2010, 6:16 pm
One thing I can agree with that it is a good experience for them to do, but amother, I can relate to you as it is hard to change the status quo and decide on a good shul too..

chaylizi

Post Sat, Oct 16 2010, 6:23 pm
I went as soon as I was old enough to walk by myself.

My oldest is 7. She's not old enough to walk by herself, or mature enough to go with DH and stay the whole time. So she davens at home & plays with her younger siblings. I guess I will reevaluate later on.

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 4:23 am
chaylizi wrote:
I went as soon as I was old enough to walk by myself.

My oldest is 7. She's not old enough to walk by herself, or mature enough to go with DH and stay the whole time. So she davens at home & plays with her younger siblings. I guess I will reevaluate later on.

when I was not able to go to shul because I had babies and we lived too far a friend would pick up my dd's and take them to shul. But there is a childrens service in our shul.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children