Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Gift ideas for Israeli, chareidi boys, ages 9, 13, 14

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 2:06 pm
I need ideas for (not expensive and not large) gifts to bring from the US to EY for Israeli (though with American parents) chareidi boys ages 9, 13 & 14. They do not read English.

In the past, I've bought things like nice pens, wallets.

Now I need something else.

Sports stuff is no good.

Any thoughts?

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 2:12 pm
Board games, appropriate puzzles, chanukiot, pajamas (long pants), nosh with an acceptable hechsher...

red sea

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 2:13 pm
Blokus for them to share?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 2:20 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Board games, appropriate puzzles, chanukiot, pajamas (long pants), nosh with an acceptable hechsher...

I can't find any board games here that don't require reading English. They've got menorahs. PJs, I'd never manage to get the exact "right" kind they consider acceptable. I'd like to bring nosh too, and I've done that in the past, but I've learned that anything I might think of bringing, they have there and usually better.

A large puzzle (landscape, something like that) is really a good idea, but they leave in a typical Israeli dirah without a lot of room and there wouldn't be any place to keep it while in progress. I am going to ask their mother about that though (I've asked her for ideas too but she doesn't have any).

saw50st8

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 2:22 pm
How about those 3D puzzles? You can build a building which is pretty cool.

What about wooden craft projects?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 2:28 pm
saw50st8 wrote:

I'm not familiar with 3D puzzles. I'll ask about them. But unless it's something that can be left unattended in a small space and can't be easily broken by little kids it won't work.

Crafts are a maybe, but they're not very into those kind of things.

Thanks.

Barbara

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 2:36 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

I can't find any board games here that don't require reading English. They've got menorahs. PJs, I'd never manage to get the exact "right" kind they consider acceptable. I'd like to bring nosh too, and I've done that in the past, but I've learned that anything I might think of bringing, they have there and usually better.

A large puzzle (landscape, something like that) is really a good idea, but they leave in a typical Israeli dirah without a lot of room and there wouldn't be any place to keep it while in progress. I am going to ask their mother about that though (I've asked her for ideas too but she doesn't have any).

Would you be able to teach them how to play the game, eliminating the need for instructions (or translate the instructions for them)? If so, then neither Settlers of Catan nor Carcassone require reading to play. Someone else mentioned Blokus, which is also reading-free.

If they enjoy reading, those little portable booklights could be a hit.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 2:45 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

I'm not familiar with 3D puzzles. I'll ask about them. But unless it's something that can be left unattended in a small space and can't be easily broken by little kids it won't work.

Crafts are a maybe, but they're not very into those kind of things.

Thanks.

They take up less table space and you can keep the peices in the box as you are building. But it can be destroyed with little kids.

What about a game like Jenga? Its made to be destroyed LOL.

Inspired

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 2:49 pm
For the 9 year old I would suggest playmobil. You can get a nice small set for 10$ or less.
For the older ones there are lots of games that don't require reading.
Labrynth
Stratego
lots of card games - most games from the company gamewright, which are awesome.
Also gigamic

or stamps with their names and phone number to stamp their seforim (this probably needs to be bought in ny, or EY)
An mp3 player without radio. music cds. If they already have a digital camera maybe a new memory card and some rechargeable batteries also good if they already have an mp3 player with removable memory.
a nice scarf
slippers
A gift certificate to the local book store. A subscription to the hebrew mishpacha magazine or kol haolam kulo or olam hacharedi.

I would not give them a puzzle. They probably don't have the room and if they have little kids it would be a big problem.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 2:51 pm
Barbara wrote:

Would you be able to teach them how to play the game, eliminating the need for instructions (or translate the instructions for them)? If so, then neither Settlers of Catan nor Carcassone require reading to play. Someone else mentioned Blokus, which is also reading-free.

If they enjoy reading, those little portable booklights could be a hit.

The game ideas are a maybe (it's iffy if I'll get to spend enough time with them to teach them as they have very long hours in cheder and yeshivah ketanah). I checked with someone and they said Blokus is a good idea (though she thinks they might have it, I'll have to check tomorrow), but it's a very large box which is a problem. She said there is a travel version of it too but that's hard to find.

I like the booklight idea. I'll have to try to find them.

Thanks.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 2:52 pm
saw50st8 wrote:

What about a game like Jenga? Its made to be destroyed LOL.

That I know they have.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 2:55 pm
Inspired wrote:
For the 9 year old I would suggest playmobil. You can get a nice small set for 10$ or less.
For the older ones there are lots of games that don't require reading.
Labrynth
Stratego
lots of card games - most games from the company gamewright, which are awesome.
Also gigamic

or stamps with their names and phone number to stamp their seforim (this probably needs to be bought in ny, or EY)
An mp3 player without radio. music cds. If they already have a digital camera maybe a new memory card and some rechargeable batteries also good if they already have an mp3 player with removable memory.
a nice scarf
slippers
A gift certificate to the local book store. A subscription to the hebrew mishpacha magazine or kol haolam kulo or olam hacharedi.

I need to check if they have those games or not. Thanks. The stamp idea is good too. I don't think their mother would want them to have MP3 players and for music stuff, they have lots and there's lots they don't consider apppropriate. They've got a digital camera. I want a physical gift in my hand for when I come, so the gift certificate is out. Subscriptions are an interesting idea, but (based on US price of at least Mishpacha) are pretty pricey.

Thanks for the ideas.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:00 pm
rummikub, or risk.

Last edited by Raisin on Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:02 pm
Nice assortment of stationery/pens/pencils?
Diary books?
Paper airplane books?
Not too expensive watches, like Swatch?
Torches/headlights?
Backpacks?
Can you take them to buy appropriate outfits/shoes?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:02 pm
Raisin wrote:
rummikub

Thanks, they have that too.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:09 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Nice assortment of stationery/pens/pencils?
Diary books?
Paper airplane books?
Not too expensive watches, like Swatch?
Torches/headlights?
Backpacks?
Can you take them to buy appropriate outfits/shoes?

I've bought nice pen (and pencil) sets twice in the past.

I don't think they'd go for diaries or paper airplanes.

The watches are a good idea -- I'll check to see if they have (they definitely all did at once time but who knows if they still work).

What are torches/headlights?

Backpacks are very touchy -- they'll only use the exact same kind of thing all of their friends use.

Thank you.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:17 pm
How about chess or checkers?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:40 pm
After reaching their mother, I've settled on:
watches for the 13 & 14 year olds
9 year old has a watch -- still thinking about him

For their sisters:
11 year old -- headbands (has a watch)
7 year old -- watch
4 year old -- something with markers, crafts

Little brothers -- little cars

For the family: Stratego and Jenga.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 4:01 pm
I'm sure a lot of families would want you for their Bubby! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions