Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Onion Soup - small amount

SV

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 1:10 pm
My dh *really* wants onion soup for dinner tonight. Since it's Thursday I would like to make a small pot to avoid any leftovers. All the recipes I found here call for tons of onions/stock.

Does anybody have a good flavorful recipe that I can half or quarter?

TIA

c.c.cookie

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 1:31 pm
French Onion Soup (Spice and Spirit) - yields 8 servings. I've quartered it just for me and my husband.
4 T. butter
2 T. oil
7 cups sliced onions
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. thyme
3 T. flour
8 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter and oil. Add onions and seasionings and cook, stirring for 20 to 30 min. until onions are golden brown. Sprinkle flour over onions and stir foe 2-3 more min. While stirring add water gradually and simmer covered for 40 min. Add salt and pepper to taste.
(serve with melted cheese and croutons. Yum!)

SV

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 1:48 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
French Onion Soup (Spice and Spirit) - yields 8 servings. I've quartered it just for me and my husband.
4 T. butter
2 T. oil
7 cups sliced onions
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. thyme
3 T. flour
8 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter and oil. Add onions and seasionings and cook, stirring for 20 to 30 min. until onions are golden brown. Sprinkle flour over onions and stir foe 2-3 more min. While stirring add water gradually and simmer covered for 40 min. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Thanks so much! How many onions did you use? (I.e. how many onions are 7/4 cups?)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 1:54 pm
I quartered this recipe for you

French Onion Soup - Quick & Kosher

• 1 large onion, sliced
• 1 Tbsp butter
• 1/4 cup dry white wine
• 1-1/2 tsp flour
• 2 cups water
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/8 tsp black pepper
• more salt to taste or 2-1/4 tsp onion soup mix

In a 1 quart pot, sauté onions in butter over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until caramelized to a nice golden brown, stirring frequently so they don’t burn.
Add wine and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
Slowly stir in flour.
Stirring to keep lumps from forming, add water, onion soup mix, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes. (It probably needs less time for such a small pot.)
Ladle steaming soup into bowl and sprinkle with cheese. Place a piece of toasted French bread in if desired.

c.c.cookie

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 2:08 pm
SV wrote:
c.c.cookie wrote:
4 T. butter
2 T. oil
7 cups sliced onions
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. thyme
3 T. flour
8 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

Thanks so much! How many onions did you use? (I.e. how many onions are 7/4 cups?)

I figure about 1-1.5 oniond per cup. I'd say 2-3 onions for you, depending on their size.

SV

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 2:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:

• 1 large onion, sliced
• 1 Tbsp butter
• 1/4 cup dry white wine
• 1-1/2 tsp flour
• 2 cups water
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/8 tsp black pepper

In a 1 quart pot, sauté onions in butter over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until caramelized to a nice golden brown, stirring frequently so they don’t burn.
Slowly stir in flour.
Stirring to keep lumps from forming, add water, onion soup mix, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes. (It probably needs less time for such a small pot.)
Ladle steaming soup into bowl and sprinkle with cheese. Place a piece of toasted French bread in if desired.

Thanks so much ra_mom. I don't have white wine - can I skip that or is that the whole "kuntz" of this recipe?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 2:29 pm
SV wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

• 1 large onion, sliced
• 1 Tbsp butter
• 1/4 cup dry white wine
• 1-1/2 tsp flour
• 2 cups water
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/8 tsp black pepper

Slowly stir in flour.

Thanks so much ra_mom. I don't have white wine - can I skip that or is that the whole "kuntz" of this recipe?
I don't use onion soup mix, for for me, it is the kuntz. If you're using onion soup mix, then it should be good without it.

SV

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 8:41 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
4 T. butter
2 T. oil
7 cups sliced onions
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. thyme
3 T. flour
8 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

Thanks so much c.c.c! My dh enjoyed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics