Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Yarmulke

amother

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 12:45 pm
what do u do with a 3 year old who doesnt want to wear a yarmulke?

granolamom

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 12:48 pm
I had one of those. I didn't make sure a big deal out of it. I started with wearing it while eating (he'd take it off as soon as he was done but sometimes he'd forget and leave it on a while). then I added wearing it outside, he'd usually remove it as soon as he came in but sometimes not. eventually he began to wear it more and more. Now he's 5 and still takes it off when he's getting tired towards the end of the day. I try not to turn it into a power struggle.

shayna82

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 12:54 pm
I started bribing if he keeps it on for shul, the whole time he gets a treat. I will gradually start bribing him to keep it on longer. I try at the same time to instill a love for it because Hashem wants us to. He has always dislikes anything in his hair.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 2:49 pm
I would not make him wear it. I would make it seem like a wonderful thing to do and then just keep at it untill he himself wants to wear it.
it worked with my brother that way.

su7kids

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 3:09 pm
in my opinoin, keep putting it on him. Eventually it would be come a habit.

With the next boy, start younger. Keep putting it on, and they'll get used to it.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 7:33 pm
From my personal experience, start with wearing it to shul (or you can't go, then add to eat or say any bracha/modeh ani, at the same time I encouraged at least a baseball cap, once the cap was regular and habit, we started using a yarmulka instead if it was 'too hot', you'll get there.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 4:35 am
Im just curious when he started wearing one. Our Rav said not to put one on a child under 3 (I have to admit I did occasionally for special occasions) apart from in shul, so that it would be special when they started.
And I have to say that my boys, ky"h, were just waiting to be 3 and have one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers