Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Tell me about Skokie and WITS...or other possibilities

amother

Post Fri, Mar 19 2010, 12:24 pm
We're either rightish MO or leftish yeshivish (however you want to put it). I have a good boy who is an average middle of the class student at a good (tough) day school. He doesn't apply himself overly much, and with effort he would be a top student. He always tests at 99th percentile on achievement tests in English and math and is a very good limudei chol student. He truly is a good sweet boy.

We want him to go to yeshiva where he'll really get a fire inside of himself for learning and develop more self-discipline. We'd like for him to be first and foremost a mentsch who knows how to learn.

Ideas for yeshivas to check out this fall? Any that might have sleep away camp affiliated with them (I know Skokie does...)? Other thoughts?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 09 2010, 3:29 pm
Different amother here bumping this up because we are looking for a high school for our son for next year. The way amother #1 describes her family and herself are similar to us and our son. We are looking for both strong kodesh and chol.

Someone suggested Skokie. But I'd also like to hear about WITS.

Specific questions:

Does anyone have a son in the dorm? How many out of towners and from where? How much supervision in the dorm and what kind of things do they tolerate? Are the students generally serious about learning and about English?

Is television accepted by the the general parent population or frowned on?

What kind of extra-curricular activities do they have? Sports, etc.

Thanks a lot for any info or insight or other suggestions.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 09 2010, 7:41 pm
skokie is a great school and you should definitely look into it. Do you want to only be int he midwest? Perhaps look at the Missouri Torah Institute. Also I have heard very good things about Texas Torah Institute in Dallas. good luck!

chavamom

Post Thu, Dec 09 2010, 8:17 pm
MTI or Block Yeshiva HS (also in St. Louis)

amother

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 12:18 pm
"op #2" here.

Thanks for your replies. Can anyone answer my specific question about whether TV (and secular movies) is accepted among the student body in Skokie, Wits and the other ones that were suggested (Dallas, St. Louis)

That is a big concern of my husband's. He wont hear about a school if TV will be accessible to my son.

chavamom

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 12:53 pm
I think Skokie, TV is acceptable. MTI, discouraged as are gaming systems and don't have one in the dorm. I have no idea about WITS.

chavamom

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 12:55 pm
Ds says that Skokie has a no TV rule for the dorm (though many have at home) and just to toss out there, they drug test heavily.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 8:04 pm
Thanks Chava. The thought about the drug testing is scary. But when you think about it, maybe its scarier if they don't test.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 13 2010, 8:11 pm
from knowing personally what goes on in skokie ( I lived there)- ill tell you this they r not allowed to have tvs or laptops for watching tv but do some boys do it? yes they do they hide it sometimes they get caught and sometimes they dont - I feel skokie wants a yeshivish mentality but the boys r not -
drug tests they do but not that often when they feel its neccs. but they will go into ppls room to look around to see if they r hiding anything- any qs I can help just ask

I signed anonymously b/c I used to live there
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children