Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Named for 2 grandmothers

amother

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 12:17 am
Both my maternal and paternal grandmothers had the same name. For years we couldn't name after one of them because the other was still alive. We've heard that it might be a problem to name one baby after 2 people and we'd have to choose which grandmother we're really naming after. This is heart wrenching for me - how can I choose? We will ultimately ask our own shaila, but I'm curious if anyone else heard of this?

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 1:49 am
I've never heard of this. And I certainly hope it's not true, as both of DH's great grandmother's AND my grandmother had the same name and we hope to use it someday. In fact, both my DH's brothers have given the name since the 2nd great-grandmother was niftar a few years ago. Before that no one would use it.

As with most things name related, it's minhag.

spring13

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 10:27 am
it depends how you perceive the effect of naming after someone. personally, I don't think you should be forced to choose. I'm getting tired of all the rules people come up with for naming.

red sea

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 10:30 am
Both myself & a neice of mine are named after 2 grandmothers, we're fine. Don't drive yourself up the wall about it. You'll ask.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 10:36 am
I don't know about in a situation where both grandmothers had the same name, but when we were choosing names for DS and consulted a Rav, he said don't use 2 names that are from 2 diff. people. Something that if could cause problems with the neshamos or something...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
I don't know about in a situation where both grandmothers had the same name, but when we were choosing names for DS and consulted a Rav, he said don't use 2 names that are from 2 diff. people. Something that if could cause problems with the neshamos or something...

Everyone should ask.
By our neshamos it's fine.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 10:42 am
amother wrote:

I hope my parents didnt cause any problems by naming both my sister and I after two different people.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names