Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Which antihistamine has worked for you/ your children?

gold21

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 10:22 pm
I am considering trying an antihistamine for my son, as his nose started running yesterday with allergy-type mucus (clear and watery), and it started when we were outside and it was VERY windy! so im thinking maybe the wind was blowing pollen all over the place?...Anyhow, DH and I also have seasonal allergies. I tried Claritin for myself a few months ago, which is supposedy non-drowsy, I took it at night, and in the AM I was exhausted and sooo drowsy. I gave up on treating my allergies and now I just manage without meds. So, what should I try for my son? Is there any OTC antihistamine that is truly non-drowsy but works well? I know theres Zyrtec, Allegra, Claritin...maybe some others.... Any recomendations? TIA (by the way I did call the pediatrician and she said I can try an OTC antihistamine)

Twizzlers

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 10:28 pm
FYI, I think Zyrtec for kids was recalled, so maybe hold off on that.
I use Claritin D non drowsy, but it did take almost a full week of using it till I saw results. No comment on the non drowsy part as I'm exhausted these days anyway, but almost all of my family members are on it and no one has complained that I know of.

feel good!

gold21

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 10:37 pm
Oh, Zyrtec was one of the recalls? OK, there goes that idea. So Claritin or Allegra I guess. And I need the liquid form, so maybe I should check to see if they even come in liquid.... Thanks Twizzlers! By the way, DS2 loves oatmeal so thank you for that suggestion! :-)

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 10:54 pm
you can get generic zyrtec here at drugstore.com or look around at your pharmacy. I am a huge fan.

gold21

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 11:05 pm
thanks! does generic zyrtec come in liquid form, and does it have a decent taste?

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 12:46 am
It does come in liquid form (see above) and my kids love it!

amother

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 5:21 am
Zyrtec is the most likely of the non-sedating histamines to actually cause sedation in some people. So maybe try Claratin first if sedation is a problem.

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 10:35 pm
It's also supposed to be more effective for more people. Maybe you want to try a low dose first (2.5mg-5mg) and see if you can find a dosage that treats the allergies without sedating the child.

FWIW, we haven't noticed any sedating.

pecan

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 11:20 pm
I never found that claritin did anything.
Benadryl changed my son's personality - he went seriously wacky from it. He's a normally easygoing kid and he cried hysterically when he was on it. I tried it a few times to rule out anything else.
I like zyrtec.
Why was it recalled? Is it because people overdosed?

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 12:14 am
It was recalled because the name-brand production factory has serious quality control issues.

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 12:47 am
Generics are readily available

TzipG

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 4:40 am
claritin was a lifesaver for my son during allergy season! we get the generic - loratadine

allrgymama

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 7:11 pm
I started using the Target-brand version of liquid Zyrtec for my baby because the Zyrtec wasn't available.

It's a 24-hour medication (unlike Benadryl, which is every 6 hours) and, in my experience, works much better. It also didn't make my daughter act any differently (crazy or exhausted, or anything), but everyone reacts differently.

I keep a bottle upstairs, downstairs and my mother's house so that we're completely covered. (Perhaps a bit excessive? Smile )

At this point, even if the Zyrtec became available, I wouldn't switch. And my daughter has liked both flavors we tried -- grape and something else.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics