Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
AMI stuck in the customs ROLFL!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

ILOVELIFE

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 10:21 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
I am in contact with an editor at ami and she told me mishpacha has pushed them out and threatened the oot distributors.

Why don't they get their own distributors and how can Mishpacha have monopoly over all these distributors

amother

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 3:39 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
ClaRivka wrote:
I am in contact with an editor at ami and she told me mishpacha has pushed them out and threatened the oot distributors.

Why don't they get their own distributors and how can Mishpacha have monopoly over all these distributors

I can only answer for London, but apparently it's not worth it for a distributor to work for just one paper, it is too much work for not enough $$$.

Tova

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:33 am
What a sad thread Crying
I'm not being mechadesh anything here but it seems like the owner of both magazines need to go to a Rav or Beis Din for arbitration and a psak halacha that they both agree to bide by. And if there are no halachic barriers to the competition, then I think that there is some bitachon lacking as to Who is the source of parnassah...these are concepts we can't just pay lip service to, or what are we learning and teaching our children?

[On another note, I am a subscriber of Binah (live OOT) and VERY happy once they started home delivery a few weeks ago..I ALWAYS get my magazine on Sunday now and don't have to worry about missing copies. Thanks Binah.]

sneakermom

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 10:08 am
So frum people are only entitled to one magazine?

A lot of this is greed. Remember that the magazines are making a lot of money. The established one wants to keep all their business without being bothered by the pressures of competition. And the new one sees how much the established mag is making and wants that for themselves.

And the tight knit communities we have are easy to manipulate one way or another. One mag gets half of europe on his side and the other gets all of south america!

I personally like a lot about Ami, I find some of their articles to be more real and upfront. And Mishpachah has it's strengths too. I personally would buy both.

This is offtopic but I happen to not like stylized type writing. Nor do I like that both mags seem to just do publicity spins about certain people. The articles are all lauding the person's great accomplishments and get tiresome after awhile.

And the fact that Ami is trying to be more real and less stylized is something that they will have to fight for. It's exactly what all the vaads are going to jump on. Which leads us back to reading secular material because that's at least informative, intriguing and more realistic. Why does frumkeit have to be so glossy and nice? When did real become not interesting or bad? I know, I know...off topic.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room