Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
AMI: Vol I Issue III

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Dec 24 2010, 12:46 pm
So I have the post-recall Ami. It looks interesting. But I am so sad... as hard as I'm trying, I'm still not feeling it. as long as it's still at the introductory price I'll probably still buy it. But I'm just not sold. It's still not this extraordinary amazing who-knows-what publication. It's great, it's nice, and it's a big expense and something I don't think I have time for.

Bliss

Post Fri, Dec 24 2010, 3:19 pm
Oy, after all the campaigning, anticipation, and excitement...

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Dec 24 2010, 4:08 pm
I didnt campaign ... but I was full of anticipation and am still not feeling it. I'll probably give it a chance in another few months if it improves.

Isramom8

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 12:06 pm
If it's good, don't expect amazing. Adults rarely experience anything truly amazing. It's a marketing ploy.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 7:38 pm
I have 2 copies of AMI one pre-recall and the other I'm not sure (supposedly post recall) Did the post-recall also have the old editorial? Does a/one know which article was the problem? Was it a full piece or a line? I'm really really really curious now!

mominlkwd

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 8:04 pm
I'm not really a big fan. I bought it for the first time this week to see what everyone is talking about. Maybe it's just me but I don't find it very well written - not juvenile per se but not up to the other magazines writing skills. I find that some articles ramble and some get cut short. The "all of our lives" in particular I don't like. I get swept up in the story and it's over with no ending, it just stops. I understand this must be a certain way of writing but I don't get it. "The crib in the attic" story felt waaaay to drawn out, I've followed serials in the other weeklies and I never felt like they were trying to fill up a page - as if the story really isn't long enough so they fill it with unnecessary fluff. I may give it another try but I'm not excited by what I've seen so far.

Just wanted to add that I did like the recipes and "the hurt of truth" although written in a kind of rushed writing I did enjoy it.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 1:09 am
Okay, I take back some of what I said... I did enjoy ami Living. (didnt even get a chance to read the ami yet.) I might continue buying it, maybe not every week.

I also felt a little confused by All of Our Lives pieces, they all stop so abruptly and we get no closure. It's an 'artsy' form of writing, but not one I particularly enjoy.

It was good reading. It wasnt a total waste of money. But definitely not the 'best thing since sliced bread' we were expecting.

Isher

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 9:37 pm
Am I the only one that realized the Dear Readers letter in Ami Living is the same exact as last week?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 11:21 pm
No, Isher, youre not the only one Smile.
So far in the ami I enjoyed the last article about the Boss, pretty funny. Also, I love Rabbi Frankel & rabbi Taub's column. The article about the chabad seforim is rather tedious. I figured the cahabdskers would enjoy that.

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 4:33 am
Who is Rabbi Taub btw? I wish they'd have a bio

SleepingBeauty

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 4:53 am
What were the recipes?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 8:59 am
It has a bio. he's a rav in buffalo.

Etonnemoi

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 12:39 am
Really?

To me, this was the most solid of the magazines available. I think I'd rather buy ami than any other mag (though I don't usually buy any- I borrow! :-)) In terms of design, content, and variety, they just win hands-down. No contest. And the Ami Living was stellar.

The 'Our Lives' are SUPPOSED to be like that: slice of life vignettes that communicate an EMOTION rather than a storyline. Its a literary style, take it or leave it. Personally, once I approach it that way, I enjoy it very much. Very textured and rich.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 10:41 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
I have 2 copies of AMI one pre-recall and the other I'm not sure (supposedly post recall) Did the post-recall also have the old editorial? Does a/one know which article was the problem? Was it a full piece or a line? I'm really really really curious now!

Anyone? My enquiring mind needs to know too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room