Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
"I love you" to friends?
Previous  1  2  3

shanie5

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 7:01 pm
imamama wrote:
Saying "I love you," to your friends CHEAPENS the words??????

How can telling someone you love that you love them be anything but good? I don't love my friends the same way that I love my children, or my spouse, or my siblings or parents. But I don't love my spouse the same way I love my children, or my parents, etc. etc. Why do you feel that love only applies to one sort of relationship?

When you say you are worried that it "cheapens" the words, or the idea of love (I'm not sure exactly which you mean) what are you afraid the repercussions will be?

When every call to ever person is ended in "I love you" it sounds no different that 'goodbye'. And in my eyes it cheapens the sentiment. If its said to a select few it might be better, but said to everybody makes it mean zilch to me.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 7:07 pm
crush wrote:
Sweet Valley Gal wrote:
I have one friend who says I love you to me. I dont like when she does it seems weird to me. It makes me uncomfortable. It could be thats just my personality.

To me, its even weirder when she tells me now that im married that she loves me (she's still single). Come to think of it, she never says it verbally, but when we are texting and I sign off for the night, she will write good night I love you...

But, I dont worry that she is up to something. She happens to be a very open person...

I was just gonna write exactly this. I have a friend who always says "I love you" and it made me feel uncomfortable, and now I'm married and she's still single and it feel even weirder to me. But she still says it, and I never say it back. I think she says to all of her good friends though.
Well, I used to not say it back but she commented. You dont love me? Just because you got married you dont love me? Wtvr... so I say it to make her happy. My husband thinks its funny...

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 7:16 pm
shanie5 wrote:
imamama wrote:

How can telling someone you love that you love them be anything but good? I don't love my friends the same way that I love my children, or my spouse, or my siblings or parents. But I don't love my spouse the same way I love my children, or my parents, etc. etc. Why do you feel that love only applies to one sort of relationship?

When you say you are worried that it "cheapens" the words, or the idea of love (I'm not sure exactly which you mean) what are you afraid the repercussions will be?

When every call to ever person is ended in "I love you" it sounds no different that 'goodbye'. And in my eyes it cheapens the sentiment. If its said to a select few it might be better, but said to everybody makes it mean zilch to me.
I feel that way too

Merrymom

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 8:46 pm
Sweet Valley Gal wrote:
shanie5 wrote:
imamama wrote:

I feel that way too

This is how I feel. I want the words " I love you" to come from the heart, to be an expression of sincere true love. Not the "wow, we're best friends because we talk about what our teachers are wearing all day and wear matching friendship bracelets" I love you. She should know the difference. Especially since meeting this friend, her friend has been doing her best to give her an "adults and especially parents are the enemy" mentality. She should know that her parents genuinely and truly love her while this girl who claims to love her seems to use her more than anything. Honestly, I wish this friendship would disappear but I'm doing my best not to intervene so that it won't make them even closer.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children