Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult
Previous  1  2

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 10:22 am
Isramom8 wrote:
SPOILER

You realize that Piper killed Willow, right? Because who told Charlotte to take down the fences and give Willow more independence? In the normal course of life, would Charlotte ever have asked Willow to venture out alone in icy weather?

Piper's audacity led to Willow's being born and to her dying. Her innocence and unwavering support was tragic.

I was traumatized for days after reading the ending. I identify most with Piper.

Once again, Amelia will see herself at fault. Now she will be messed up forever. They are all messed up forever. They should have moved right after receiving the check. To a warmer climate where no one knew them before. Then they could have lived guilt free, and made friends.

Favorite line" "Isn't this how Princess Diana died?" Perfectly Amelia, LOL.
I am sorry but I don't agree. It was Willow going where no child is allowed to go without an adult: onto the ice. Every kid growing up in an area where there are skating ponds is told from age 0 DON'T GO ON THE ICE until it's determined to be safe. I was shocked she was so disobedient but it made ending the story easy for JP. I mean, the girl knows everything else, but she doesn't know that ice is dangerous? Puleez.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 11:15 am
Tamiri wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
SPOILER

You realize that Piper killed Willow, right? Because who told Charlotte to take down the fences and give Willow more independence? In the normal course of life, would Charlotte ever have asked Willow to venture out alone in icy weather?

Piper's audacity led to Willow's being born and to her dying. Her innocence and unwavering support was tragic.

I was traumatized for days after reading the ending. I identify most with Piper.

Once again, Amelia will see herself at fault. Now she will be messed up forever. They are all messed up forever. They should have moved right after receiving the check. To a warmer climate where no one knew them before. Then they could have lived guilt free, and made friends.

I am sorry but I don't agree. It was Willow going where no child is allowed to go without an adult: onto the ice. Every kid growing up in an area where there are skating ponds is told from age 0 DON'T GO ON THE ICE until it's determined to be safe. I was shocked she was so disobedient but it made ending the story easy for JP. I mean, the girl knows everything else, but she doesn't know that ice is dangerous? Puleez.

Its been a long time since I read the book, so I don't recall the point at which Piper advised Charlotte to give Willow more independence. Hadn't it been years since they had even spoken? In any case, it doesnt' matter. As a parent, the decision was always Charlotte's. Charlotte wants to convince herself that there are others to blame for her problems. She had the choice to abort, but she didnt' take it. But she still wanted to convince herself that there was someone else who should take responsibility. She thought it would be so easy to just sue and have some insurance company take a hit. It didnt' occur to her that she would be destroying other people.

I thought that the ending was simply a typical Jodi Picoult cop-out.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 11:21 am
I loved this book but again like everyone says its a typical Jodi Picoult book and had a predictable ending. I always have this with her books, I love to read them, but then I get annoyed at the end because its sooo typical!
They all die/get murdered. Easy way to end a story!

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 8:20 am
Tamiri wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
SPOILER

There was so much focus on Willow's disability that she was always taught not to break a bone. (Willow says to herself that one thing she knows for sure is that this time, it wasn't her that broke.) No one thought to teach her not to use razors or crawl carefully onto ice. I think the ending is meant to show us that as much as Charlotte intended for Willow to have a normal life, that was never possible. And Piper encouraged a normal life, and life to begin with.

Oy, so sad.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room