Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
7 year old fly to Israel alone??
Previous  1  2

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 12:39 pm
Actually that sounds quite realistic! Maybe it will work out when your son is a bit older.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 12:54 pm
right, when he is older

See Im lucky, in an unlucky way- our family in Israel is a bit fragmented, so they are good for more than 1 day.

Dad and step-mom- they would be the hosts and main entertainers. Step-moms kids and their families would be around to help

BIL (DHs kid brother) would be the 'cool uncle' - just have to remind him that sniper training' is not an age appropriate activity

Aunt on kibbutz (DHs aunt, also the mother of my sisters husbands [sister married DHs cousin]) - good for overnight, but kashrus is an issue, plus out of her 4 sons, there are my BIL here in the US, but @ the kibbutz there is a married w/ kids son and 2 single sons, so they would be good for a few hrs. And Aunts ex, but DS knows him from when he comes to us to visit my BIL/DHs cousin.

Great-grandpa, would have to be supervised, since saba doesnt speak English, and D's Hebrew is basic and Hungarian is non existent.

Then there are the various other distant relatives that probably he may or may not see - but overall, all this family can help fill up his time- when the time is right

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 12:59 pm
OMG I forgot the jet lag part that you mentioned. Let's assume that all he suffers from is jet lag, and not horribly aching ears which I personally have seen on a young child after a flight. So he arrives at 3 pm and falls asleep from exhaustion even though it's 8 am home. By the time 10 or 11 pm rolls around, he's wide awake and everyone else wants to go to bed. When they are waking up, he wants to sleep. BTDT.

imayekara

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 1:03 pm
I think 7 is young , but take into account the childs personality.
If you feel that he is a confident child who will be fine using the unaccompanied minors service of the flight where they will look after him the whole time, then I dont think its crazy. It just depends on the child, I would not send a child who tends to panic or is nervous.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 1:04 pm
Tamiri- so have I, when eh was 14 mo old we went and the first few days were a nightmare. We left on a Thursday, but I didnt get any sleep the night b4. no sleep on the plane. Got in on Friday a few hrs b4 Shabbos- he was jet lagged so no sleep that night. After Shabbos we went right into Tisha B'av (yes I know I shouldn't have traveled then, but dad was paying for the tickets and he insisted), still Jet lagged, so no sleep.
So 4 sleepless nights with a plane ride included followed by a fast day.
enough said?

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 1:06 pm
I would never send a 7-year-old alone on a flight to Israel. Or any flight, for that matter.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 1:07 pm
moonstone wrote:
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
....as I said originally, I think it is insane. Just looking for confirmation

Well, I'm happy to give it to you. Very Happy Yes, it's absolutely insane, for all the reasons Tamiri mentioned and then some. He's just way too young.

I also think it's insane. There are so many predators out there and it only takes one second to alter the life of a child forever--even if the dayelet is floating around near him most of the time. From what I see here on this site, you don't seem like the kind of parent to take such chances.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 1:08 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
Tamiri- so have I, when eh was 14 mo old we went and the first few days were a nightmare. We left on a Thursday, but I didnt get any sleep the night b4. no sleep on the plane. Got in on Friday a few hrs b4 Shabbos- he was jet lagged so no sleep that night. After Shabbos we went right into Tisha B'av (yes I know I shouldn't have traveled then, but dad was paying for the tickets and he insisted), still Jet lagged, so no sleep.
enough said?
Do you want to inflict that on your father and his wife? Will they be able to handle it? In truth, travelling TO Israel is easier in my experience, but still....

Atali

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 1:09 pm
I have a DS who is the same age as yours and there is no way that he would be even willing to fly by himself.

However, my younger son (almost five) would probably be thrilled to do it if I would let him, but I cannot imagine doing so.

I would say around age 10 is when I would be willing to try it at the earliest.

Last edited by Atali on Tue, Jan 18 2011, 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 1:12 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
enough said?
Do you want to inflict that on your father and his wife? Will they be able to handle it? In truth, travelling TO Israel is easier in my experience, but still....

right, but that was 6 years ago when he was a toddler- and I wouldnt send him for tisha bav anyway- and hey they offered!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

ora_43

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 1:14 pm
I flew alone when I was a bit older than that, I think 8 or 9? It was a 5-hour domestic flight and it was awesome. I had a lot of fun.

But it really depends on personality. Some kids love independence, some don't. And a 10-12 hour trip is a different story from a domestic flight, as Tamiri said he'll probably get very tired.

I don't think it's a crazy idea but I do think that for most kids it wouldn't work for another 2-3 years. Ultimately only you can say if it would work for your kid.

robynm

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 1:17 pm
I flew by myself when I was 8 years old from the US to Israel (after spending the summer in america). it was all set up. there was a man keeping an eye on me and the stewardesses checked up on me and gave me treats and presents. but I was still scared and afraid. I felt alone. and tired and no one to complain to. and when I got to they airport my luggage was lost. its been many years. but I have never forgotten... I do not recommend.... now my parents wouldnt even leave my younger sister home alone and shes 13!

would you let your 7 year old cross the street alone? stay home alone?

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 2:20 pm
I would freak out to sit 11 hours myself on a plane and im a bit older than 7!!
I wouldn't do that to him unless you know a family friend who will be on the flight there and back to sit with him and entertain him...11 hours is a LOOOONG time for a little boy!

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 2:21 pm
I've sent my dds as unaccompanied minors, (UMS, as my sil calls them, form the big label they have round thier neck) but only flights of less then 2 hours. The stewerd(ess) looks after them the entire time they are in the airport, for security (actually they fastpass them I think) and keep an eye on them on the airplane.

But they were either 2 kids together, or much older then 7.

It's perfectly safe but it may be a little scary for a 7 year old to fly alone. if you can find anyone travelling to israel maybe your son can fly with them.

unofortunatley its getting harder and harder to find airlines that do UMS. The low cost carriers do not do it.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 2:22 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
I would freak out to sit 11 hours myself on a plane and im a bit older than 7!!
I wouldn't do that to him unless you know a family friend who will be on the flight there and back to sit with
him and entertain him...11 hours is a LOOOONG time for a little boy!

really? 11 hours of peace and quiet sounds like a dream come true for me! Very Happy

sequoia

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 9:56 pm
I flew a great deal as a child, and I can tell you the flight attendants are very careful to make sure you are okay and have everything you need. They take you through security, baggage claim, and so on.

Seven is still too young for such a very long flight. In a few years, perhaps?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children