Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Is my 11 year old playing hookey?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 11:09 am
My son has been complaining of a headache Thursday and Friday. No fever, no other pains. We took him to the doc for a throat culture, came back negative today. Shabbos he was fine, learning with his chavrusas and living it up. This morning he woke up again with the "headache" and "too sick for school".

Is he playing me?

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 11:12 am
he may very well have a headache. however, he doesn't have strep or fever. so give him some tylenol and send him to school. tell him if the headache comes back he should go to the office and ask for some tylenol. (make sure he knows when he took it last.)

shluchamom

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 11:20 am
this is almost certainly related to something going on at school. Try to find out whats going on there and might be causing him anxiety or unhappiness about going to school and probably you'll figure out a way to solve the headaches.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 11:25 am
actually, many people get headaches if they are woken from a deep sleep. some people are more sensitive to the sleep cycle than others. those headaches can stick around all day. there could be something going on in school, so it's worth it to do a little snooping (or asking), but it could really just be physical. don't freak out about school issues until they're confirmed.

Kayza

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 12:45 pm
Do you really think the only possibilities are strep and hooky?

Some possibilities (not exhaustive, with some repeats, in no particular order)

School issues - which you NEED to resolve
Sleep cycle
Insufficient sleep
Neurological problem
Needs glasses

bird

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 9:57 pm
my brother would get real bad somach aches, went to the doc who said its nothing. finally my parents witth the doc figured out that he was very scared of his teacher

marina

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 10:06 pm
pretty easy to tell. Keep him home but let him only read books and eat healthy foods. No special games, videos, junkfood, nothing.

If your kid still wants to stay home the next day, either it is time to visit the doctor for a check up or there is a big problem at school.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 10:16 pm
Some kids adore reading and don't want to watch tv or play video games.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 11:07 pm
marina wrote:
pretty easy to tell. Keep him home but let him only read books and eat healthy foods. No special games, videos, junkfood, nothing.

If your kid still wants to stay home the next day, either it is time to visit the doctor for a check up or there is a big problem at school.

He spent his two days off listening to his favorite cd's in bed...

Anyway, I did explain to him today, that when there is no other symptoms to back up a headache, it might be either stress or lack of sleep. So since he isn't sick with any communicable disease, he's gotta go to cheder today, and we'll have to work on these two fronts. I left an open door for him to know that I understand there's a possibility that something somewhere might be bothering him, and I'll listen. When he asked about taking more motrin, I explained to him the adverse effects of long term ibuprofin. I told him we can pop those little orange candies only occasionally, and that four consecutive days of pills are not good.

He asked then what should I do? I told him he'll have to learn what works for him to reduce headaches. I offered him tips like breathing in fresh air, drinking water, etc. I also offered he can call me from cheder if the headaches become unbearable.

Ever since this little talk, no more headaches for today.

Lets hope he's fine now. He went to sleep early, and he seemed ok in the evening.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 11:53 pm
One of my brothers also complained about headaches and made every excuse not to go to cheider, when he was about the same age. Turned out yrs later he confessed that his rebbe molested him that yr. Maybe sit down with him and have a talk.

boruchhashem

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 12:24 am
My son has been complaining since wednesday. We allowed him to come home from sleep away yeshiva for shabbos. Over shabbos I figured it may be his eyes. Luckily got a same day appointment to eye doctor today. Yup, he needs glasses bad! Got him the glasses and tomorrow back to yeshiva iyh. Hopefully problem solved.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 9:28 am
I also played hookey when I was younger than that. I was petrified of my teacher. I really did feel sick because I was so scared. Please have a talk with him before even thinking of forcing him back to cheder.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 10:03 am
this sometimes happens when a child is being bullied, teased, or having other social difficulties

Kayza

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 9:28 pm
amother wrote:

Anyway, I did explain to him today, that when there is no other symptoms to back up a headache, it might be either stress or lack of sleep.

Those really are not the only two options, and by not addressing the others, you may be missing the boat
Quote:

I left an open door for him to know that I understand there's a possibility that something somewhere might be bothering him, and I'll listen.

That's good but you need to realize two things. Firstly, what sounded like a door to you might not be all that clear to him. You need to say this to him out right. Secondly, you need realize that the kid may not tell you about a problem even so, for a wide variety of reasons. Do some checking.
Quote:

When he asked about taking more motrin, I explained to him the adverse effects of long term ibuprofin. I told him we can pop those little orange candies only occasionally, and that four consecutive days of pills are not good.

You are right about the motrin. But, the fact that he's asking indicates that it's really not just about playing hooky, and you need to try to figure out what's gong on.

By the way, is there any reason you haven't considered getting him to an ophthalmologist?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 10:35 pm
Kayza wrote:

By the way, is there any reason you haven't considered getting him to an ophthalmologist?

Yes, he has been to one recently and wears glasses.

We did visit the ped today again, she said his throat DOES look bad, so we're waiting for results.

BTW, every parent knows her child, and he's not the type to keep stuff in and not share, and he is the last boy in school to be bullied, he is a borderline bully himself! lol

amother

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 6:21 pm
OK, so there's no molestation, no bullying, no stress, no glasses issue BH. After 4 cultures, the one that's called DNA Probe came back positive today, and he certainly does have strep.

I hope he will start feeling better soon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children