Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Eating bug eaten greens- would you?

Seraph

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 11:25 am
If your lettuce or spinach or any other green had holes in it because bugs decided to nibble on it, and you check it thoroughly for bugs, but they've all gone away... would you eat it?

geemum

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 11:28 am
prob not - they might have left tiny tiny eggs.

even though al pi halacha , if they;re smaller than the human eye can see, I'd still be "ewww!!"

Strawberry2

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 2:00 pm
I wouldn't maybe they're hard to see or have eggs.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 4:38 pm
I think you can't eat the bug eaten part, ie the holes, or black spots etc., it's also assur.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 4:43 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
I think you can't eat the bug eaten part, ie the holes, or black spots etc., it's also assur.
Why would eating the holes be assur? Which issur would it fall under? Bal tashchis is the only issur I could see applying.

JC

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 4:45 pm
I would like to know the bare bones line on this.

I say no because of the ick factor, but think it would be OK for kashrut.

I also think you need to take into account that Baal Taschis is a straight out issue, while washed/clean greens that bugs have once upon a time been on is not as clear cut.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 11:15 am
When I buy organic there is almost always some nibble holes. Without pesticide it is very hard to keep lettuce completely nibble hole free. Unless you grow hydroponic and even then there are issues.

If you soak/clean properly you should be able to remove all bugs AND possible larvae.

So. I'd eat it.

granolamom

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 7:36 pm
well, technically, you can't eat the holes. but I would tear off the area around the hole and eat the rest (after checking, obviously). if you've ever had a vegetable garden you know that bugs are all over the place. they often move on, leaving the vegetables halachakly permissible for consumption.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen