Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Good non jewish music
Previous  1  2  3  4

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 1:26 pm
thatworn wrote:

Even classical music can't be so great as it was the "pop" music of its time and didn't the Nazis, yemach shemo, use certain componisten as part of their filthy propaganda?

That doesn't make the music bad. Evil people can be highly aesthetic and cultured.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 7:18 pm
Another vote for Scottish music. Much of it is about the country. Often, as in Loch Lomond there is some stuff a bit romantic, but really fine eg "By yon bonny banks and by yon bonny braes, where the sun shines bright on Loch Lomond, where me and my true love were ever wont to gae, on the bonny bonny banks of Loch Lomond etc". And "Campletown Loch" etc. Check out Kenneth McKellar, Stop that tickling Jock. Listened to it all the time as a girl. Don't now, but never gave me ideas (except for Scottish country love which has also kind of gone to the back of mind, but Scottish blood doesn't ever seem to leave!)

Reality

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 8:15 pm
Plenty of the oldies music is more Jewish than current "Jewish music". First of all Simon & Garfunkel were both Jewish so I consider their music "Jewish". The same goes for Billy Joel. He is a little harsher but the messages in some of his songs are really good.

Why does the music have to be current? As a teen I listened to the radio. That didn't spoil me for "oldies' music. I liked both kinds. It depended on my mood.

OP, is your daughter involved in the school choir or does she like harmonizing? Than maybe the oldies is the way. They had amazing harmonizies in some groups like Peter, Paul & Mary while singing very clean songs.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 8:28 pm
amother wrote:
Avril Lavigne is pretty clean, and reallllly good

maybe her older stuff is, but some of her newer stuff has foul language. not recommended.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 8:35 pm
simon and garfunkel are groovy. you might want to skip mrs. robinson, though.

john denver's music is quite good. joan baez, judy collins (gotta luck out with joan baez, a lot of her stuff is annoyingly political. but the good stuff is good.) gordon lightfoot's ok and clean. the beatles are nice. peter, paul and mary have some great folk-style music. jim croce. abba's lyrics are somewhat ridiculous, but they have a good sound.

miki007

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 11:44 pm
I love Creed, Nickleback, Bon Jovi... soft rock.
Trace Adkins' song 'you're gonna miss this' is absolutely brilliant and easy to relate to.

dimples

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 12:28 am
I like rascal flatts, music is great and very clean.

Depressed

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 12:41 am
mummiedearest wrote:

john denver's music is quite good. joan baez, judy collins (gotta luck out with joan baez, a lot of her stuff is annoyingly political. but the good stuff is good.) gordon lightfoot's ok and clean. the beatles are nice. peter, paul and mary have some great folk-style music. jim croce. abba's lyrics are somewhat ridiculous, but they have a good sound.

??? Let it be let it be.. Mother mary comes to me singing words of wisdom let it be ....

lamplighter

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 1:29 pm
miki that song is awesome!!!!

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 4:58 pm
Depressed wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

??? Let it be let it be.. Mother mary comes to me singing words of wisdom let it be ....

believe it or not, paul mccartney's mother was mary. afaik, the song refers to her. if you think of it that way, there is nothing wrong with the song.

tikva18

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 10:52 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Merrymom wrote:
Are you kidding me? You obviously don't know teenagers. Bach...I can just see the eyes rolling now. Rolling Eyes

Bach's Tocatta and Fugue -- skip ahead to 1:52 or 2:31

8) Twisted Evil

FACE-MELTING GUITAR SOLOS OF EPICNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

youtube widget-thing isn't working?

Oh that was horrid! How could someone do that to Bach? Try this instead Smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDXznf-sk-g

As for the OP, I stopped listening to non jewish music many, many years ago - I feel so much better without it - and mamash almost cringe now when I hear it. I do listen to classical a lot as well as yiddishe music which I think speaks to my neshama. There is so much more to classical than Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart. For some reason people seem to think that those composers 'define' classical. Classical, the name in and of itself , is insufficient - there's the romantic era, the baroque, renaissance, etc. I'd recommend listening to a few different composers and see which you like - and not only that but some instruments may be more appealing to you than others - my ds is very into violin. He's 15, knaina hara, and plays violin. Even my youngest ds (one of the twins) recognizes Pagannini when he hears it.
There are some up and coming composers today - one of whom is quite young, Emily Bear - she's 9 yrs old and has written over 300 pieces.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children