Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Did you have a wedding cake?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Did you have a wedding cake?
yes  
 25%  [ 34 ]
no, I didn't want one  
 68%  [ 93 ]
no, but I wanted one  
 2%  [ 4 ]
other  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 135

justanothermom

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 2:50 pm
No, we didn't have one. I didn't even think about it when planning our wedding. Wedding cakes are so beautiful though.

lilacdreams

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 3:03 pm
yes we had a traditional cake. It was a very rich fruit cake inside, and marzipan, and fondant icing on outside and 3 layers . My mother saved the 3rd layer for a year for us to eat on our anniversary (fruit cake doesn't go stale, but she may have frozen it, either way it was edible and delicious). The other 2 layers were dessert for everyone at the wedding. We cut the cake together but didnt do the feeding each other thing.

maofboys

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 3:12 pm
I had one similar to the one posted with steps or floors. but that was just b/c the caterer put it out with the rest of the dessert stuff we didn't have any special cut the cake time, (I don't think we even ate a piece).

sky

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 3:20 pm
I didn't and I can't think of too many weddings that had it.
One sephardi class mate of mine had an awesome cake at her wedding and it was sorrounded by lots of tradition. I don't remember exactly but there was cake cutting, a chamapagne tower, a pretty sephardi song, and flower throwing (everyone took the flowers from the centerpieces and threw the petals at the chassan and kallah during the chorus of the song) all around this gorgeous cake.

Happy18

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 3:59 pm
Nope. The caterer never even mentioned one. I was one of the first of my friends to get married so I didnt even think to ask for one. Dont really care so much but annoyed that my caterer didnt offer it.

artikidove

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 4:22 pm
nope. the caterer offered but suggested not having because with dancing and whatnot people tend to leave before dessert. I think there was carrot cake and strawberry shortcake for dessert.

elaela

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 1:49 am
we had one. it was delicious. yumm

gem

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 2:05 am
lilacdreams wrote:
yes we had a traditional cake. It was a very rich fruit cake inside, and marzipan, and fondant icing on outside and 3 layers . My mother saved the 3rd layer for a year for us to eat on our anniversary (fruit cake doesn't go stale, but she may have frozen it, either way it was edible and delicious). The other 2 layers were dessert for everyone at the wedding. We cut the cake together but didnt do the feeding each other thing.

Exactly what she said, except I can't remember what was inside our cake. It seems like it might have been a white cake with some kind of fruit layer. It was decorated with pink roses. Very yummy and pretty.

yo'ma

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 6:43 am
I started this thread in 2011, but it came up again in my house because we started watching cake boss again Smile , so I'm bumping it up and I added a poll.

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 6:50 am
It didn’t occur to me.

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:02 am
Yes it was included in the package at the hall, so why not?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:24 am
Wasn't on my radar.

yerushamama

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:44 am
Someone (I don't remember for sure who) told me a funny story about her wedding cake. She was very specific about what type of cake filling icing etc, but when they went to cut it they found that all but the top layer were cream covered cardboard!

amother
Natural

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:13 am
Yes, I had one. We are very yeshivish, and no one else does it, but the caterer we used offered, so I was so happy because I always wanted one, they are so beautiful! And we even had a tsniusdig chosson kallah cake topper (whi check our first child played with to death lol)! It was placed in front of the head table, then cut and served by the waiters for dessert. I still enjoy the pictures of it.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:15 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Yes, I had one. We are very yeshivish, and no one else does it, but the caterer we used offered, so I was so happy because I always wanted one, they are so beautiful! And we even had a tsniusdig chosson kallah cake topper (whi check our first child played with to death lol)! It was placed in front of the head table, then cut and served by the waiters for dessert. I still enjoy the pictures of it.

I forgot to describe it! It was three layers, iced in white buttercream, with basket weave technique all along the sides...just elegant and beautiful!!

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:18 am
When I got married I was very naive. At that time I believed that wedding cakes were not something frum weddings had. I'm not sure why I thought that way. Maybe because I've never seen one before at an actual wedding.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:34 am
Seriously, I hope that wedding cakes will never become the new standard in the frum world. I can understand the cutting ceremony and the pictures and wedding cakes are beautiful. However, let's be honest: Do we really need another expense? Do we really need to push the bar any higher? Do we really need our kids to grow up with more expectations and needs and wants and must-have's? What's next on the list? 24 karat gold confetti?
Seriously folks, if someone has money like garbage then better to spend it on hachnassat kallah for orphans or food for the truly destitute.

zaq

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:12 pm
The caterers in my day would display a fake multiple-tiered base atop which they would put a small layer cake with traditional topper. This top tier they gave to each couple as a souvenir and would serve guests 'wedding cake" which was sliced from a sheet cake in the kitchen. The idea was to freeze the top layer and eat it on your first anniversary. Since we don't sell chometz gamur except for liquor, and ice cream melted in our "freezer", we ate the cake that Shabbos.

Extremely fancy wedding cakes take days to assemble and decorate. They either sit out at room temperature all that time, or are taken in and out of the fridge or freezer as they are worked on. Either way, I can't imagine that the cake remains all that good to eat. These things are works of art meant to look impressive, but what's on the inside is secondary. Kind of like some people: the outside look phenomenal and the inside disappoints.

There used to be a chain of Hispanic bakeries famous for its fantastically elaborate cakes. I asked a Hispanic coworker if the cakes were any good. She said no. It was all about the looks. So it's not just a kosher thing.

SuperWify

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:15 pm
No but we had a birthday cake for my grandmother and niece.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:22 pm
zaq wrote:
The caterers in my day would display a fake multiple-tiered base atop which they would put a small layer cake with traditional topper. This top tier they gave to each couple as a souvenir and would serve guests 'wedding cake" which was sliced from a sheet cake in the kitchen. The idea was to freeze the top layer and eat it on your first anniversary. Since we don't sell chometz gamur except for liquor, and ice cream melted in our "freezer", we ate the cake that Shabbos.

Extremely fancy wedding cakes take days to assemble and decorate. They either sit out at room temperature all that time, or are taken in and out of the fridge or freezer as they are worked on. Either way, I can't imagine that the cake remains all that good to eat. These things are works of art meant to look impressive, but what's on the inside is secondary. Kind of like some people: the outside look phenomenal and the inside disappoints.

There used to be a chain of Hispanic bakeries famous for its fantastically elaborate cakes. I asked a Hispanic coworker if the cakes were any good. She said no. It was all about the looks. So it's not just a kosher thing.

We had a similar "day."

I don't really get the whole trend of the elaborate fondant cakes; I want something that tastes good.

But yes, we had a cake.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics