Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Wilton changed their Hechsher!

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 7:49 pm
I went to Michaels today to buy some Wilton stuff for a cake and they changed the hechsher! It used to be the (reliable) OV and now it's a picture of the USA with a K inside. Anyone know if it's reliable?

proud_mama

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 8:20 pm
A lot of their stuff has the ou on it, some of the sprinkles, some of the icings. Last year, the fondent had a different hechsher, I dont remember which, we called a rav, and he told us that hechsher was good for that product, but we would have to find out for different products. I would suggest to call a rav who is knowledgable in hechsherim.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 8:53 pm
My Rav, whose hashgacha is respected by a major kashrut organization known to be picky about other hashgachas, holds by that one. A neighbour who is a rav and mashgiach for that major organization also told me it was good.

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 8:57 pm
They have always had a variety of hechsherim. Check each item. I usually find the packaged food coloring with smaller jars have the usa k, while the individual larger jars have the ov. same with many of their other products.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 8:58 pm
Can you tell me what hsgacha it is? Who your Rav is or what his Hechsher is? Thanks!

mamommommy

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 9:16 pm
Here is a link to different kashrus organizations.
http://www.kashrut.com/agencies/

I believe the one you are talking about is the K.O.A. I don't think that it's a universally accepted hashgacha, but if I recall correctly, it's okay on certain foods, but I would definitely double check on it because I may be remembering it wrong.

MommytoB

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 10:04 pm
I've been told that kosherquest is the most reliable place to find out about hashgachas. I e-mailed Rabbi Eidlitz back and forth about a hashgacha and checked with my Rabbi who said if Rabbi Eidlitz of kosherquest said it was ok, then it is...obviously you need to check with your Rabbi. But in any case, the USA with a K inside is on kosherquest as acceptable - it is a local texas one (you can check if that specific product is made near Texas).

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 10:06 pm
mamommommy wrote:
Here is a link to different kashrus organizations.
http://www.kashrut.com/agencies/

I believe the one you are talking about is the K.O.A. I don't think that it's a universally accepted hashgacha, but if I recall correctly, it's okay on certain foods, but I would definitely double check on it because I may be remembering it wrong.

It's not the KOA and not on that website. But thanks anyway.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 10:08 pm
MommytoB wrote:
I've been told that kosherquest is the most reliable place to find out about hashgachas. I e-mailed Rabbi Eidlitz back and forth about a hashgacha and checked with my Rabbi who said if Rabbi Eidlitz of kosherquest said it was ok, then it is...obviously you need to check with your Rabbi. But in any case, the USA with a K inside is on kosherquest as acceptable - it is a local texas one (you can check if that specific product is made near Texas).

Um, no, that is the state of Texas with a K inside. Not the USA with a K inside, but thanks anyway.

mamommommy

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 10:24 pm
You got me really curious, so I just looked up some Wilton products and you're right, it's not the KOA, but what I said before about the universal acceptability etc., was about that Wilton hechsher, not the KOA (because I did ask about Wilton stuff once). Again, I really don't remember exactly, and I can't seem to find that hechsher on any listing either! I think I'm going to call the star K tomorrow to find out!

MommytoB

Post Wed, Feb 09 2011, 10:36 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
MommytoB wrote:

Um, no, that is the state of Texas with a K inside. Not the USA with a K inside, but thanks anyway.

You mean you are not from the United States of Texas?

LOL And that is why I should be sleeping already instead of surfing on imamother! Yes, you are right that is texas. Therefore, since he does not have the USA with a K in it on his list, it is probably not an acceptable one!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen