Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Mac vs pc

Mommastuff

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 10:37 pm
Which is better for graphics and video editing? I'm looking for a laptop.
It used to be that Mac was "it" for graphics; is it still that way?

Have any suggestions for any particular computer? Do I need a big screen? Is high memory a must? Can laptops take an external mouse (in case the built-in mouse is too hard to use)

TIA

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 10:51 pm
Mommastuff wrote:
Which is better for graphics and video editing? I'm looking for a laptop.
It used to be that Mac was "it" for graphics; is it still that way?

Have any suggestions for any particular computer? Do I need a big screen? Is high memory a must? Can laptops take an external mouse (in case the built-in mouse is too hard to use)

TIA

I worked on a PC and now have a mac, with heavy graphics and mac wins, hands down!!

Bliss

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 11:16 pm
Another vote for mac

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 11:17 pm
I prefer Macs over PC's for graphics work, although I think there's less difference now than in the past. I also prefer the Mac OS over the various permutations of Windows.

Right now I have a 17" Macbook Pro hooked up to a 23" HP monitor. I use both monitors at once, it works great! I also have a separate keyboard and a small Logitech cordless mouse (I truly dislike laptop touch controls). If I were shopping for a new computer today, I would consider a 15" Macbook Pro (lighter, smaller and easier to take to clients) and I'd still hook up a large screen monitor to it for work in my home office.

And about memory -- yes, the more RAM the better. You'll need it for any serious graphics or video work.

Simple1

Post Fri, Feb 18 2011, 8:32 am
Mac is a lot more expensive. With PC you get more for your money. I have never tried Mac so I can't compare the two. And I don't do graphic art but do a lot of photography editing and am fine with a PC.

Simple1

Post Fri, Feb 18 2011, 8:36 am
I don't know about Macbooks, but when it comes to PC, laptops are not great for editing, because the screen won't show you accurate color/lighting, especially on an angle.

chubsy

Post Fri, Feb 18 2011, 12:01 pm
Another vote for a MAC. I use both and the mac beats the pc by far. Costs lots more money but good investment.

Kayza

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 1:21 am
There is much less difference than there used to be, although mostly the edge seems to go the mac.

Laptops are generally NOT the best environment for heavy graphics work. If you really must get a laptop, then I would favor a Windows machine - you are going to get more for your money for an appropriate graphics machine.

Regardless of whether you get a Mac or PC, there are a few things to keep in mind.

Very important, especially if you are doing anything like video editing or complex image editing, is a good graphics card (make sure you are getting discrete graphics, not the built in graphics) and lots of memory. Next in line is a fast hard drive. Lastly, while you obviously want a higher end processor, the highest end is not going to give you that much of a boost, so that's not where I would put my money.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics