Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Before a fever does ds behavior change to out of the norm?

goforit

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 7:52 am
Hi my ds had a rage attack on Monday evening. Today Wednesday morning he woke up with fever, is it possible that it is related. The screaming and throwing that we had on Monday was really almost unprovoked and out of character. In the 5 years of his life I never saw him acting like this. Am I just looking for an excuse for his behavior or could it be related? I would love to know that he really is not him and not capable of acting the way he did! He is generally a very active kid and I was thinking of testing him for any disability's so I am confused.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 9:46 am
I would wait and see if it repeats before running to get him tested. it is very possible he just wasn't feeling himself. what is bothering him in addition to the fever? Strep can cause a lot of these types of things, I recommend a strep test! (atleast for my kids!) please update with the results!!

goforit

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 10:27 am
I usally run to the dr. the first day they have fever but usally after I go the fever doesn't come back! I thought I would wait at least another day. already for a long time I want to test him he has some social issues..... that thread about the gifted adhd reminded me of him but I think he is just very smart. He also has scensory issies. But I wish someone can tell me that this happened to them, it was really scary what happened Monday!

goforit

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 10:33 am
Sorry forgot to answer your question. Nothing else bothers him. Although because his sensory issues he doesn't feel! He even broke his hand and hardly complained! So I am used to checking his forehead very often.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 11:15 am
if you were goign to test him anyway you can test him anyway. in regards to the tantrum u can see if it happens again. but really PLEEEASE check for strep. my son is also the adhd/gifted type with social issues etc. to sum it up he is "neuro-sensitive" and strep really affects him in other ways besides his throat hurting, it can cause what u are describing. and also bec of his sensory he doesn't always tell me abt it. check his throat, if its red go to the dr. even if its not I would still get him checked out. but that is me...btw even if my son does not have a fever and acts totally out of character, I would bring him in for a culture bec in the past he has had strep with little or no symptoms.

goforit

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 12:03 pm
yup I am going soon to the Dr. he also had strep with no fever and ofcourse not telling me anything. the only thing is I was there last week for a well visit. (no shots) I guess its the really sensory kids that get soo wacked up before they get sick. Will let you know if its strep. thanks I wish there was more proof on this.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 12:16 pm
good luck! keep me posted. it may not show up on rapid, make sure they do an overnight Smile

goforit

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 2:06 pm
yessir he has strep I am almost releived!! it came up on the instant, gave the meds already thanks

amother

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 2:37 pm
Wow I am so glad you went. just so you know my dr said if I think he is behaving "off" etc to get a strep culture, or if he just plain doesnt feel well, but not specifically saying his throat hurts etc.

goforit

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 2:44 pm
for me it was weird usally he gets really calm goody goody and I know he has strep no fever. I once even said to dh I don't want to take him to dr. cause I know this good stage is to good to be true and it always was strep! (it happened like 3x) anyway good thing I went today and got him on too meds right away!

MuppetLover

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 3:47 am
My son has no disabilities b"h and for a few days before he gets sick he gets very strange also. Like out of control wild, twitchy, cant relax, and then he will get cranky hours before whatever is about to set in sets in. I also knew it, but I realized it the last time he got an asthma attack. For 3 days before he just couldnt control himself to the point where my DH put him in a warm bath with epsom salt (which is supposed to relax your muscles) and gave him a massage bc he was so hyped up he was shaking.

goforit

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 7:16 am
wow muppetlover that's so intresting. He has no sensory issues?

MuppetLover

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 9:20 am
BH no...I have had him assessed a few different times (he is 6) since age 2 bc it does run in DHs family and I have heard some cousins on my side have it.

I asked his ped. who is also a homeopath about it, and he said thats just the way my son is. Its the strangest thing, but to be honest, I am a little grateful that I least there are simanim..He doesnt get sick so much anymore, bli ayin hara, so when he does, at least we have fair warning and we know not to get angry or frustrated with him. Best thing for him is some videos and warm baths at that stage....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics