Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Your favorite posuk from Tanach & how it touches you?

lifecoach

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 12:13 am
Your favorite posuk from Tanach & how it touches you?

What is your favorite posuk (verse) from Tanach and how does it touch you? (Write 1 or 2)
(No need to be exact.)

I love the haftorah when Elisha heals the Shunamite woman's baby (parsha Vayeira v. 34). "Then he went up and lay upon the lad, and placed his mouth upon his mouth, his eyes upon his eyes, his palms upon his palms, and prostrated himself upon him, and warmed the flesh of the lad." I love the way he puts his heart and soul into healing - something inspiring and to emulate. Always makes me cry.

Another posuk I love is when the Kohen Gadol comes into the Sanctuary wearing "a gold bell and a pomegranate, a gold bell and a pomegranate on the hem of his robe all around. Its sound shall be heard when he enters the Sanctuary before Hashem and when he leaves, so that he not die." (Parsha Tetzaveh 28:34,35.) Lubavitch commentaries say that the Kohen Gadol represents all Jews, and some are noisy in their avodah, and some are quiet. Baalei Teshuvah are sometimes noisy because they've been so far from their Father, that they need to say loudly that they are here! and coming back! While those who have always been righteous, can perform their avodah more quietly. In a sense, we are all sometimes Baalei Teshuvah.

sequoia

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 12:22 am
Yirmiyahu 29:11. "The thoughts that I'm thinking on them, says Hashem, are thoughts of peace and not evil, in order to give a future and a hope."

amother

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 6:10 pm
When Avraham buys a kever for Sarah and has to deal with a swindler, even tho' he's grieving. He overcomes his own grief for the sake of his beloved wife that she should have a proper burial.

What's you favorite verse or (story) in Torah and why? Maybe that's a simpler question?

justcallmeima

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 8:42 pm
I hope it's ok if it's not exactly from Tanach. It's from Pirkei Avos. "Be makom she ein ish, hishtadel lih'yos ish" If you find yourself in a place where noone is mentch, you try to be a mentch. I try to rise to the occassion when it seems as though I am surrounded by people who not behaving in a very mentchlech manner. This pasuk is my inspiration in many many difficult and trying situations.

newmomma

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 9:00 pm
I love bentching...(its mandated from the torah!)
there is so much we ask for, and it is so meaningful to me.

for example we ask Hashem to give us parnassah with kavod.
and we ask to be able to be around when eliyahu hanavi comes to bring mashiach.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 9:04 pm
"Vekovei Hashem yachalifu koach" - Yeshaya, 41, I think.
"Berov sarapai b'kirbi Tanchumecha yesha'ashu nafshi" - Tehillim 94.

WWG1WGA

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 9:16 pm
Dirshu Hashem behimatzao, kerauhu bihioso karov

pischu li pesach shel machat, va ani eftach lach pesach

gam ki elech bigay tsalmoves, lo ira ra ki ata imadi

Mkay

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 9:23 pm
"Sheva yipol tzadik vakam"

I can fall and fall and fall, even a tzadik keeps falling - vakam - yes I can get up and come closer to Hashem.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 9:53 pm
amother wrote:

Don't know why I went amother. Maybe because there is something so intense about this.
The first, from Yeshaya: every mother's mantra, and I learned it in 11th gr. One day I'll call my teacher and tell her...

As for the second, often when I daven, I look at the English as I say the nusach (yeah, my havara's lousy but I can't keep the rules straight) and the translation a la Artscroll really spoke to me. I can't remember what kind of stress I was under that day.

More to come. (As you said, Lifecoach, we're allowed more than one. Otherwise it's like trying to choose our favorite child Wink And there are a lot more pesukim I love than I have children.)

apple24

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 10:07 pm
from mussaf "vetaher libeinau luvdecha bemes"

lifecoach

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 11:24 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
amother wrote:

More to come. (As you said, Lifecoach, we're allowed more than one. Otherwise it's like trying to choose our favorite child Wink And there are a lot more pesukim I love than I have children.)

can't wait! Why not 3?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 11:25 pm
Can those posting in Hebrew, also translate to English? Thanks.

grace413

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 12:35 am
Yishayahu Chapter 44, verses 7-8

"For a small moment I have forsaken you but with great compassion I will gather you. In a moment of anger I hid My face from you but with everlasting kindness I will have compassion on you says Hashem the Redeemer."

It's much better in Hebrew.

It speaks to me because it acknowledges that we sometimes cannot find Hashem, but that even then, we can be sure that it's only temporary and in the long run Hashem will always be with us. I interpret (with no basis from anywhere, just my thought) that this applies to us as individuals and as Klal Yisrael. I find it very comforting.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 6:27 am
"Haboteach BaHashem Chesed Yesovevenu" - He who trusts in Hashem will be surrounded by Lovingkindness.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 10:15 am
[quote="PinkFridge"]
amother wrote:

From Yeshaya: And those who hope in Hashem will have their strength renewed.
Tehillim 94 (As per Artscroll siddur): "When my forebodings were abundant within me, Your comforts cheered my soul."

It is amazing how fragments of prayer and pesukim can grab our soul. Maybe it brings us back to times and places when we heard them in song, or when we first encountered them. It's not necessarily all about the words. There's a beautiful story I heard in the car a good ten years ago and I can still remember the stretch of road I was on when I heard it, that's how amazing it was.

lifecoach

Post Fri, Mar 04 2011, 12:45 am
[quote="PinkFridge"]
PinkFridge wrote:
amother wrote:

It is amazing how fragments of prayer and pesukim can grab our soul. Maybe it brings us back to times and places when we heard them in song, or when we first encountered them. It's not necessarily all about the words. There's a beautiful story I heard in the car a good ten years ago and I can still remember the stretch of road I was on when I heard it, that's how amazing it was.

Very poetic reply. True, about how powerful a place or time can be, and the power of a song. Our sensory memories can be very strong. I'd like to add that we all heard the Torah in our mother's wombs, so it is intrinsically a part of us. And, we're taught that we all have a portion of the Torah that relates especially to us. Each of our souls resonsate with a special "piece" of Hashem that no one else has. What an appreciation for the entire gamut of Torah that we (have the potential to) all contribute to in such a harmonious way. Good Shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics