Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
ISO meatballs and a step by step

intrigued

Post Mon, Mar 21 2011, 12:49 pm
I have never made them meatballs before because I never really cared for them but I want to give them a try.

I am looking for a not such a plain recipe. I want it to be tasty but not spicy. I actually never minded the sauce but it was the actual meatballs I am not crazy about.

Some questions about cooking them:

How long do you cook it for and does the sauce cook on its own first?

Do they expand like Kneidelach?

Anything else you think I should know please share.

TIA

fiddle

Post Mon, Mar 21 2011, 1:06 pm
http://fiddlinginthekitchen.bl......html

here is a recipe I have.. there are many. easy one in spice and spirit. some on allrecipes. feel free to try this.

they do not expand.

if you are using chicken instead of meat, I would omit breadcrumbs and use ketchup or tomato sauce as a binder along with the egg.
I do not cook the sauce before, rather I keep it on a low flame to make sure its mixed evenly.
and I dont cook it longer than 40 minutes.

I also as opposed to what it says in the recipe, do not mix the meatballs. rather instead of browning them I dump them right in the sauce and leave them on a simmer for 40 minutes and halfway through I flip them over.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 21 2011, 2:54 pm
What was it about the meatballs that you didn't like intrigued?
Were they too hard? Too soft? Not tasty enough?
We can try to help.

intrigued

Post Mon, Mar 21 2011, 3:01 pm
Fiddle that sounds really good! I like the sweet and sour twist to it! Is it OK just to do it with meat? If so is there anything I should change?

ra-mom I am not sure. I am willing to give it a try again as a child I never liked it. I think I don't like the firmness about it. I will try Fiddles tonight and see how taht goes. It looks really tasty!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 21 2011, 3:10 pm
intrigued wrote:
Fiddle that sounds really good! I like the sweet and sour twist to it! Is it OK just to do it with meat? If so is there anything I should change?

ra-mom I am not sure. I am willing to give it a try again as a child I never liked it. I think I don't like the firmness about it. I will try Fiddles tonight and see how taht goes. It looks really tasty!
If it's the firmness, soak some leftover challah or bread in water, until super soft and falling apart. Squeeze out all liquid. Use that bread instead of breadcrumbs. You'll end up with really soft meatballs.

intrigued

Post Mon, Mar 21 2011, 3:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
intrigued wrote:

If it's the firmness, soak some leftover challah or bread in water, until super soft and falling apart. Squeeze out all liquid. Use that bread instead of breadcrumbs. You'll end up with really soft meatballs.

Thanks for that. I will make it the regular way as I am in too lazy of a mood to make the bread crumbs now. But I will bear it in mind for next time!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics