Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Origin of Selma?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 12:46 pm
Anyone know? My grandma was Selma, no clue about Hebrew name, wondered the origin.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 12:50 pm
Ashkenazi or Sefardi/Mizrachi?

levial

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 2:12 pm
Ashkenazi. Her surviving sister didn't know her Hebrew name..just that she wasn't named for anyone in the family, she was named for a friend of the family. (She ventured Sarah or Zelda.)

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 2:14 pm
Selma can also be Shaindel.
Or a Yiddish name by itself

shevi82

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 2:31 pm
The only Selma I heard of was Shvester Selma. A nurse that was brought in from Germany by Dr. Wallach to Sharri Tzedek hospital. (I believe it was in the beginning of the 1900's, maybe earlier)

DovDov

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 4:01 pm
Do a search online for "selma baby name." Consensus seems to be it comes from Hebrew or Aramic (or Old German from those languages) and means either "helmet of Gd" or "peace."

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 5:30 pm
The Selma in our family was named (Yiddish) Sima. She was a child (born in the 1920's) of immigrants from Russia. They chose the name Sima to name her for her grandfather who was Shimon and then chose Selma as an English "equivalent).

Needless to say those that have names children after her have only used the name Sima.

I don't think you can assume anything as to what the original/Hebrew name of your Selma might have been.

zb99m

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 12:45 am
I know this is a REALLY old thread, but figured I'd add my take- my father's aunt was Selma, her Hebrew name was Shifra; a cousin named for her is Sarah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names