Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Raising rent!

amother

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 2:08 pm
we just got a letter that they are raising our rent 4.7%. this is insane, I could be paying a mortgage with what they want me to pay for my two bedroom apartment! anyone know how to negotiate our way to a lower price? There are vacancies here, so I doubt they would want us to leave, and I really don't want to move! we have moved so much already!!!!

HELP

suzyq

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 2:11 pm
First step towards negotiating - ask. Call up your landlord and tell them that you received their rent increase notice and tell them that you really enjoy living there, but are not sure you can stay if they raise the rent. Then add in anything about you that makes you a good tenant - you pay on time, you are clean, neat and quiet, you have never damaged property, you don't have a pet - anything like that, to make you seem like a valuable person to have in their apartment. Good luck - and just remember, you have no way of getting them to budge if you don't try.

shoshina

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 2:39 pm
We have successfully done this with our landlord three years running. They send a letter to raise the rent, we call and say "We are very happy with ______ as you can tell by the fact that we have never been a day late with our rent. We would be very unhappy to have to move but we consider our current rent to be appropriate for our apartment" and without fail they issue us a new lease. Same goes with fees. I tend to say "I would prefer not to pay this fee because XYZ" and they tend to think a model tenant is worth more than a $500 carpet cleaning fee for my already clean carpets.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 3:09 pm
If there are vacancies int he area - go check what they are charging for those apartments. This will give you a basis for negotiation or a place to move if you can't get them to go lower.

Landlords always raise rent, but if yous ask often this can often be stalled or changed to a lower raise.

You mention you are paying enough for a mortgage. Well, if that is the case it may be worth it to start saving for a down payment pronto if you can.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics