Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What percentage of your paycheck goes to Daycare/Babysitter?

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 3:40 pm
I'm trying to do the math and it sames that at least half of my paycheck will be going towards a babysitter services, and this would be if I share with a friend. Seems pretty crazy...

What percentage of your paycheck goes to daycare/babysitting?

Queen18

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 3:44 pm
About 35% of take home.

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 3:46 pm
I earn about $3600/month, and I pay my at-home babysitter $1600/month.

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 3:47 pm
Abouut 30%

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 3:51 pm
About 1/3 of my net pay.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 3:58 pm
A lot when I had little kids, but as the years went on, I made m ore money and the kids would have been in yeshiva anyway.

And I got social secrity, insurance, and a host of other goodies for working; not just a paycheck.

vicki

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 4:00 pm
Less than 8% of our combined net income.

saw50st8

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 4:01 pm
A little over 30%.

Yes, 50% is getting crazy, but do you need the money? If so, its worth it.

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 4:06 pm
I guess I should have given some more details. It would be about 50% of my pay after taxes and it's only my paycheck. My husband makes around the same amount of money as me.

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 4:09 pm
When I work, which is very part time I make $37/hr and I pay my babysitter $6 an hr when its just my youngerst cuz my oldest is in school,when I work later and my older one is home from school its $8 an hr.. Annon because pple know my screen name here and I dont like friends to know how much I make.

saw50st8

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 4:10 pm
Well, its still important to know your percentage. If the primary wage earner is working, then the secondary wage earner effectively has the "burden" of childcare.

But remember, its not just childcare. You need to include transportation and other job related expenses (do you need new clothes to look professional? are you likely to eat out more? are you hiring more cleaning help?). Be honest about those answers because that could change the amount.

If 90% of your paycheck is going towards work related expenses, then chances are it won't pay to work. Unless its more of a career decision so you'll move up and establish yourself now.

Do you need the money?

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 4:11 pm
I would do it, unless the amount you come home with is really negligible. Also, do you have other options?

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 4:37 pm
This is going to be my first, so I really have to sit down and figure out all the logistics and money of it.

It's just very frustrating that I'll be working all day and coming home late (and tired!) and at least half the money I made that day will be going to the babysitter. I guess that's how it is though.

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 4:56 pm
I know this is going to sound horrible but I was bring home after taxes around 1800 a month and paying my housekeeper 1600, so that comes out to around 85% of my paycheck. From our monthly income, it was more like only 25% of our income.

I was being very underpaid, for the 5 hours I was out of my house my ds slept for 3 of them. I worked because I got experience and it has allowed me to now get jobs that pay 3 times what I was making, I was able to get myself certified while working.

the one benifit that I did have was that I did come home at the same time as my kids and I didnt have to do a thing. My house was always clean, I didnt wash a dish, fold any socks, etc.

I cant say I would suggest such a thing to someone because looking back I made my mistake when I first graduated college with only one kid and very little respnsiblities and didnt go for my certifications at that time.

The bottom line was I didnt necessarily bring in money to go towards the household budget but I did have help and I was able to do something for my families future without LOSING any money.

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 5:09 pm
amother wrote:
This is going to be my first, so I really have to sit down and figure out all the logistics and money of it.

It's just very frustrating that I'll be working all day and coming home late (and tired!) and at least half the money I made that day will be going to the babysitter. I guess that's how it is though.

I am the amother above you (who pays 1600 out of 3600 monthly to my babysitter). I really understand how you're feeling. It kills me sometimes that I get home exhausted and don't spend as much time with my child as I'd like. When it comes down to it, though, the 2000 that we are left with goes a long way to cover our bills. Also, not having to do much cleaning is a plus, though I don't take advantage of it as much as I should.

Izzy

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 9:42 pm
Right now it sounds like a choice between staying home with the kids or working in order to pay for the associated costs (day care, transportation, etc.). But reeeallly quickly iyh, you'll need money to pay for playgroup and then tuition, regardless of what you do all day.

amother

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 9:56 pm
I have 2 kids who are school age so I would have to pay tuition for them anyway, whether I worked or not. For the after-school I pay $570 monthly so that would be about 20% of my net paycheck. However, when my kids were younger, about half my net pay went to the babysitter. After tuition the numbers still come out the same but now they need to be in school. I feel that although I came out with half my pay check, it was still worth it for the following reasons:
1. I accrued valuable work experience that got me a decent raise (nothing major, but still something)
2. Now that I HAVE to pay tuition, I have a job which makes the money to do so
3. The other half of my paycheck covered the food, utilities and clothes we bought
4. I got out of the house, got a social life, got dressed up and felt good about it
5. I hate cleaning my house so it was a bonus that someone did the laundry and dishes

Marion

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 4:43 am
About 35% of my take home pay. For 3 kids. Not including "tuition" for DS#2 for gan in the morning. Not including the value of all the extras that I bring home too (like my car).

amother

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 9:36 am
I'm also pregnant with my first and have been doing the math for what it's going to cost us for babysitting, and it looks like babysitting will cost about 1/3 of my current take-home pay (only mine, without including my DHs, who B'H makes more than I do). But my take-home pay is going to go down also because of the increase in our medical insurance. But honestly, while my income is very, very helpful, I work mainly for our medical insurance - my DH's employer can't insure us (long story) and my employer offers a very good plan (and we make too much for any kind of government assistance). So for me, even though babysitting will take up a good chunk of my paycheck, it's worth it for the other benefits.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics