Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working by the hour - how does it work?

sped

Post Sat, May 07 2011, 3:43 pm
I just began a job working from home by the hour. I am trying to figure out how people calculate their time? Am I supposed to subtract time spent on basic needs like bathroom, drinks, eating and so on? How about if I spend extra time doing something by mistake? Any other customary things I need to know?

windowsill

Post Sat, May 07 2011, 3:47 pm
I work from home by the hour. I usually have a timer on the computer, and when I leave the comp I click pause. If I have food with me and munch during work - it includes in the hour. As for mistakes, usually it includes, unless its like a big one and takes 10-15min to undo.
Good Luck!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, May 07 2011, 6:03 pm
I'mnot sure you have to deduct bathroom b reaks. there are state laws on that.

Yocheved84

Post Sat, May 07 2011, 6:21 pm
I always ask the employer how long they expect a project to take---this way, I don't overbill them. (And I ask via e-mail, so it's in writing.) If they thought a project would take 10 hours, and I bill for 40, it's a problem.

merelyme

Post Sat, May 07 2011, 11:23 pm
I think part of the question is if you'd do whatever it is if you were working in an office - e.g., bathroom break - fine. Mistake - that's part of work (don't let it happen too often!). Eating a snack at desk - fine. Making lunch - not.

sped

Post Sun, May 08 2011, 3:50 am
Thanks. That is pretty much what I thought. How can I do the timer on the computer thig? Is it a seperate timer or a program you have?

Yocheved84

Post Sun, May 08 2011, 4:35 am
sped wrote:
Thanks. That is pretty much what I thought. How can I do the timer on the computer thig? Is it a seperate timer or a program you have?

Here's a link:
http://www.online-stopwatch.com/

Also, I wanted to add that while each industry is different, freelancers in my field--onsite or at home--are not entitled to take even a 30-minute lunch and count it as part of the day. The only exception is if you are paid by the day, and not by the hour.

And again, and I can't reiterate the importance of asking your employer how long he/she expects a project to take. If you get a project submitted wo hours less than expected, you save him money initially, but then he'll throw more projects your way--thus increasing your business. That's just been my personal experience (in my field).

e1234

Post Sun, May 08 2011, 4:47 am
I use an excel spreadsheet to track time per task - I would be happy to send you a copy if you want.
I do not timeout if I go to the bathroom or take a quick drink but if I answer a non client work call or get up to make lunch or anything else - I timeout

amother

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 7:00 am
If you are working in an office by the hour - it should be based on a clock - clock in and out. I don't think you would have to subtract time for bathroom and small coffee breaks. You probably need to subtract out the time you spent on lunch - if not eating while working. I don't think time spent on mistakes needs to be subtracted - but there were times that I did not include the time spent on major mistakes - because I thought it would look bad.

chesed613

Post Mon, May 30 2011, 12:08 pm
[quote="amother"]If you are working in an office by the hour - it should be based on a clock - clock in and out. I don't think you would have to subtract time for bathroom and small coffee breaks.

I agree!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics