Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for non-religious bat mitzva girl

amother

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 9:35 am
Does anyone know of a book that I could give to my non-religious cousin who's having a bat mitzva that would be age appropriate and also "inspiring"? I want to give her something befitting the fact that it's actually a religious event, but I don't want to be preachy...any ideas?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 9:42 am
I've always done jewelry for those occasions but this book might actually get read & enjoyed, maybe a good first jewish read

book of amazing facts and fe

8mom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 11:42 am
We once gave the Artscroll Perek Shira book to a bat mitzva girl who loved animals. When my DH spoke at her Bat Chayil service he took one of the possukim and showed how it applied to her.

cm

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 11:51 am
This is a classic gift in affiliated-but-not-religious circles: The Jewish Book of Why set.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 12:22 pm
For the last girl who we gave a gift to in this situation, we took her invitation and gave it to an artist (who happens to be my mother) and she designed a custom challah cover for her. We inscribed it in embroidery with her hebrew name and that it was from us as well. it is the pink and green tree of life one on this page. her mom said it was one of the only religiously oriented things she received. because it was so personal she loved it and it also acts as a reminder of the day.

http://levyjudaica.homestead.c......html

By the way, the China plate in blue (Shelley Duchesse Blue) is my china and was my grandmother's. My Mom worked for years trying to find the right fabric (which is silk) and flowers that looked right. now, we use my bubby's china every week, even if we are not eating on those plates, because we use the challah cover and one of the dinner plates for the challah to pass around!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 4:47 pm
How about a star of david necklace? Or a necklace with her Hebrew name on it? Or perhaps a book? I gave a bat mitzvah non-religious girl a book called The Bat Mitzvah Club, which describes a Jewish girl growing up and learning all about her religion.

dee's mommy

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 10:00 pm
What about a tzedaka box? I did that for a bar mitzvah once.

avimom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 10:19 pm
I got my cousin "the bat mitzvah treasury"- you can find it in any jewish bookstore

fuferfi

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 10:30 pm
I think a book (or several) is a great gift! One of my favorites is called Great Jewish Women

emama

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 11:30 pm
I like to give a chanukiyah as a present to those not (yet) religious. Many people do celebrate Chanukah so it is likely to be used, and may encourage someone who doesnt' have one to light it.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 9:35 am
OP here - thanks everyone for your responses!

She's pretty traditional (goes to a Jewish day school), so she knows a lot. DH said maybe R' Tatz's Thinking Jewish Teenager's Guide to Life...?

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jun 03 2011, 9:13 am
If you're looking for books, I strongly recommend the Timechart History of Jewish Civilisation
http://www.judaism.com/display.....IHDBA

It's attractively presented, with detailed, illustrated pull-out double-fold pages. this is what DH gives to bar mitzva/bat mitzva.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics