Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
My apt is falling apart.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 25 2006, 12:41 am
Every door has holes. every faucet leaks. I have no cold water in the vanity because the pipe has to be changed. My bedroom was not painted for 13 years. My walls have scratches and holes all over, my kitchen cabinets have loose hinges. my chairs have ripped upholstery. In short, I am living in a small apt with 6 kids, and they play in every inch of this house. Sometimes I feel like I just want to run away to a nice big house.

I own the house, and am planning to add 3 rooms. When we will finally have the plans approved, and the work started, I will fix the rest of the things in the house, but till then I feel like I live in the zoo.

Just venting Mad

ButterflyGarden

Post Fri, Aug 25 2006, 1:04 am
If it bothers you so much, why wait? A good handyman for a day will take care of a lot of this. Then have your chairs reupholstered and get the plastic coverings for them. The holes in the walls will be taken care of by the painters when you paint after the renovations.
I know how you feel. We live in an apartment that we rent, but want to buy. There are many things we'd like to fix, but until (if) we buy it, it just will not pay to do it. The baal habayit doesn't want to fix these things. For example, the walls have holes and are crumbling in some spots. There are crayon drawings on the walls in some rooms from the previous tenants. Half the outlets in the kitchen don't work and there is no electricity in the bathroom. There is broken molding on many walls (where the wall meets the floor, they have the tile to fix it, you just have to have it cut and done). None of the trisim work, and both mirpesets which are enclosed, leak. Oh and the big one, only half of the living room got painted last time they painted the place (they only did the living room). It's a shame.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Aug 26 2006, 10:24 pm
You should at least have the leaks fixed; water costs money!

Keep some areas off limits to the kids' playing and perhaps the place will stay nicer, longer.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 9:33 am
Quote:
Keep some areas off limits to the kids' playing and perhaps the place will stay nicer, longer.

The apt. isn't big enough to keep the kids from anywhere LOL

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:30 am
sure you can. put up baby gates.

boundaries are good for everyone to learn.

zz

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:57 am
Quote:
My walls have scratches and holes all over

You can easely get rid rid of the scratches with the "magic sponge" and fill in the holes with plaster, it's pretty much of a DIY thing...
Good luck!

Quote:
there is no electricity in the bathroom

FYI, most bathrooms I know in Israel don't have electricity for security reasons.

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:59 am
this is true, but there are exposed wires from the lighting fixtures that do not light up and we have a jacuzzi tub with no electricity to it. I'm not talking about outlets.

frummom

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 1:59 pm
as a former resident of a small apt with lots of kids, I feel your pain. it's hard to limit where the kids play, because there are so few places to play to begin with! it's very hard to feel like there's a point in fixing anything because the kids will just ruin it again when there's no place else to go...

but the work will be done eventually, and it'll be better. just think about how much you'll appreciate three extra rooms and freshly painted walls!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics