Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
If you live in a small apt, do you have a separate freezer?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:29 am
I'm considering getting a separate freezer so I can do more prep in advance/ bulk buying, but I live in a small apt. It would have to go in my living room/ dining room space because there's no where else for it to go.

If you live in a small space, do you have a stand alone freezer and is it worth it in your opinion?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:40 am
In one apartment it was in the corner of my kids room and in another it was on my tiny laundry porch off the kitchen. It was worth it for me. But it was a small 6 or 7 cu feet, not a huge one

mom!

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:40 am
BH I have since moved.

But back then, yes I did. I got a stand alone freezer from Home Depot made for compact spaces. Definitely not as big as what your envisioning but definitely served the purpose. Worth every inch of space and every penny.

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:44 am
Yes I got when when I lived in an apartment. Couldnt manage without it.

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:46 am
I live in a small house and have a small fridge/freezer in my room and its great. Bigger then a mini fridge but smaller then a full fridge. One of the best purchases I have made.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:46 am
When we were in a small apartment, we had a separate freezer. It was actually in our bedroom. It made a huge difference for us. We did a lot of hosting and made every Yom Tov (usually with lots of guests-neighbors went away so we were able to find sleeping space for people). I don’t think I could have managed without the ability to cook in advance and freeze.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 9:59 am
Yes, totally worth it. Had a full extra freezer and kept it in the coat closet (with the closet door removed).

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:01 am
No. I wish but we don’t have an extra inch of space

amother
Green

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:03 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm considering getting a separate freezer so I can do more prep in advance/ bulk buying, but I live in a small apt. It would have to go in my living room/ dining room space because there's no where else for it to go.

If you live in a small space, do you have a stand alone freezer and is it worth it in your opinion?

Totally worth it. A sanity saver.
Many people have it in the dining room, playroom, bedroom.

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:09 am
Yes! After 7 years I finally did it. Best thing.

amother
Dahlia

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:12 am
Yes, I had it in the liviing room/dining room area. Worth it.

teachkids

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:37 am
Yup. In the corner of my dining room- I stored stuff on top but I needed to be able to bulk buy and bulk cook and my regular freezer only fit 2 pans.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:44 am
Yes. Total lifesaver. Saves so much time and money

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:58 am
Yes. I put it in kid's bedroom. I would have put it anywhere. Before, I couldn't even make a batch of challah to freeze unless my tiny freezer was empty and it never was.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:04 am
Yes, I have a chest freezer in dd's closet. It is so worth it.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:33 am
Yes. We just got one second hand, it's in my living room. Its kind of an eye sore, if I'm being honest, so I try and make sure the top is cleaned off and doesnt become a dumping ground. But the extra freezer space is 100000% worth it. I'll easily make double recipes and freeze one, buy bulk which is cheaper, or even just bake a few dinner done 9x13 desserts one Sunday and freeze.

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:35 am
Yes, a 6-drawer one in my kids' room. It's always full - raw meat/chicken/fish, challah, frozen vegetables, cooked food.

bsy

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:57 am
Yes in a bedroom

readreread

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 12:24 pm
Nope. We just have to be really stingy with space. We don't buy certain things because we don't have freezer room. It makes it hard to be thrifty sometimes, but we don't have anywhere to put a second freezer.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 1:37 pm
I do not. I manage. It means not stocking up that much and not cooking in great bulk, but as it is things get forgotten about and stay I'm the freezer compartment of the fridge way too long. Elbow room, a sense of space, is important to me. I can't think of any place we could put a freezer, not to mention that in our century-old building, the only room with wiring that could handle a freezer is in the totally inadequate kitchen. For me, a wash machine was essential, a freezer a nice dream I would appreciate but could manage without. So in the tiny kitchen space available, I have a washer that also serves as auxiliary counter space.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen