Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Rosh Chodesh womens program

RedVines

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 3:23 pm
I really want to add to my community, by having rosh chodesh get togethers...I am thinking, crafty themes, cooking, etc.

I want to sit down with the rebbitzan here with a list in hand, besides for the once a week parsha class there is NOTHING else...and I think I could put something nice togther...

Thoughts, suggestions?

binah918

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 4:02 pm
When I get a chance I'll post some of the most successful R.C. programs I've done. Probably tomorrow...

Tovah

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 4:14 pm
every program should have a 5-10 min little something on the month. and u can tie that into your theme.

Elul: challah baking round challah's and it's signifigance

cooking classes
fruit decorating
chines theme
rebbe video presentation
pesach tips of cooking and cleaning
get ppl to come and sell things, like a spice party/ hat party/sheitel party etc..........

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 7:44 pm
We have a monthly farbrengen with music. It's very nice and fun!

RedVines

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 9:28 pm
I am really looking for themes...monthly, crafts...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:22 pm
each month has someting new, right? like adar has purim, etc.

binah918

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 3:09 am
Here's what I do:

Each program includes a shiur about the month and/or a special occasion in that month. Whatever I speak about, I try to make it applicable and meaningful to "today's young, modern woman," as that's my crowd. Sometimes the shiur is the main part of the program and sometimes it's more of a vort.

Here are some activities for the months I made programs this past year. It was my first year doing this and it went over really well. This year I hope to make programs for all the months...

Kislev: Make scented body/massage oil! This was a HUGE hit when I did it last year. You can also make flavored cooking oils but this makes be a little nervous. You have to boil your bottles, etc. to prevent contamination, etc. There's also candlemaking. Or a cheesemaking workshop.

Shvat: I love Tu B'Shvat seders! You can find some great ones online and adapt as neccessary. Also, you can do fruit/veggie carving. Paint flower vases. (This can be done very professionally. I'm not talking about the flower pots we give kids to paint in camp!)

Adar: The popular activity--and it goes over REALLY well--is sushi making. Also, make fnacy paper-mache masks or buy cermic masks at a craft store and paint them. (If you plan thsi the right way the project is really amazing, definately worthy of hanging on the wall with other pieces of art!) Or have someone come in to do make-up, make-overs. Or facials, even with homemade concoctions of fruit, etc. (You can always find ideas for homemade facials online.) Of course the masks, make-up, facials all relate to Purim.

Iyar: While we're counting the omer and working to clean-up and organize spiritually, we can also use this time to organize our life on the most tachlis/gashmiusdik level. Have someone come in to teach time-managment, organization skills, etc.

Sivan: This past year I had a fondue party, with cheese and chocolate fondue, fruits, crusty bread, etc. First I gave the shiur and then we all just sat around, enjoying fondue and chatting. It was lots of fun. Also, a cheesemaking workshop. Or, invite a giores tzedek to come in and tell her story, how she became interested in Judaism, etc. If it's someone who has an interesting story and is open and willing to share and talk about her experiences, this can be amazing! For bikkurim, have a basket-making workshop with a local artist.

Av: In honor of Tu B'Av make a clothing exchange party. Everyone wants to clear out there closet every once and a while. I was a little concerned that there would be problems with same sizes, etc. So we donated all the clothes to a local shelter. The women really liked that our RC group was also doing something so socially aware! Also, there's alway the obvious love themes and related activities. Even use this as an opportunity to talk about Taharas HaMishpocha and the love b/t husband/wife. If anyone thinks of any Tisha B'Av activities let me know. A shiur on Tisha B'Av is no problem to come up with. But what activity for grown women?

I also done challah-baking worskshops in the middle of the month...a HUGE hit!

PM me for more info.

Mishie

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 3:30 am
Wow Binah!
These ideas are so creative and fun!!!
Where do you live?

binah918

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 5:29 am
Givatayim, Israel

happy2beme

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:15 am
Wow Binah, that sounds like a blast!! Wish they had such a program by me!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:43 am
Oh, that sounds very very nice! wish I could be there!

pinktichel

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 1:38 pm
binah, I did very similar things the two years I ran a R"C program.
Mommyofthree, as soon as I get back from vacation, I'll go through my files and type up a list for you.
If you'd like, I can email you all the postcards and the calendar I sent out to the women of the community.

pinktichel

Post Fri, Sep 01 2006, 10:58 am
Don't know if anyone needs this but here it is....
Btw, each program was named (Ex: Jewelery making= "Tying the Knot")and had a topic for discussion.

Cheshvan- 1. Handwriting Analysis
2. Jewelery making

Kislev- 1. Herbal oil bottling and blending
2. Mosaic Menorah Tray
3. Cheese and wine tasting

Teves- 1. Healthy Living
2. Floral Arrangments
3. Challah Baking

Shevat- 1. MAC Makeup Presentation (free- call a M.A.C. counter at your local department store)
2. Edible Fruit Baskets (similar to fondue)
3. Decorate flower pot and fill with edible flowers
4. Fruit and vegetable garnishing

Adar- 1. Hamantash baking
2. Sushi Making
3. Musical Evening
4. Porcelai Mask Decorating

Nissan- 1. Jewelery Making

Iyar- 1. Scrapbooking

Sivan- 1. End of the year dinner
2. Fashion Show of Women Throughout the Ages (an enormous job, but an incredible success)
3. Table Decorating (for Y"T)

Tammuz- Tambourines

Av- Cake Decorating and Jewish Birthdays

I sent out a calendar in the beginning of the yr for ppl to hang on their refrigerator (wanted to make it into magnets, but too expensive) and sent out a monthly postcard.

I also arranged special prices for people who paid to be members. These members also got to participate in special activities created just for them such as: museum trips, eating out, luncheons with special speakers, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note