Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Challah with Honey

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 11:27 pm
Does anyone have a good challah receipe that requires honey instead of sugar? I prefer honey over sugar.

raizy

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 11:53 pm
why ? I would just use the sugar andcut down the sugar amount . no one knows the differences.

ceo

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 12:03 am
Most recipes for challah with honey are for whole wheat challah. Ihave never seen a recipe for a challah with white flour that calls for honey.

We do not use refined sugars or flours in our house, so I've played around with a lot of challah recipes- you can just take any recipe, and half the amount of sugar, and use that amount of honey. For instance, if a recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, then you can use 1/2 c. honey. Really, because honey has water in it, you are also supposed to reduce the amount of water in the recipe as well by 1/4, but for challah, you can experiment and see what happens. I substiute other sweetners all the time- I never use sugar, except on pesach.

I hope this helps you a bit, if you want me to post a recipe w/ whole wheat flour, I can.

granolamom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 10:05 am
I do what ceo does. if you are substituting whole wheat for white flour and honey for sugar, you might not need to reduce water, as whole wheat flour tends to absorb more water. at least that's what I have found. play around with it, see what works for you. a bit more or less honey in challah might taste better or worse but the challah should still come out ok

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 11:22 am
ceo wrote:
Most recipes for challah with honey are for whole wheat challah. Ihave never seen a recipe for a challah with white flour that calls for honey.

We do not use refined sugars or flours in our house, so I've played around with a lot of challah recipes- you can just take any recipe, and half the amount of sugar, and use that amount of honey. For instance, if a recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, then you can use 1/2 c. honey. Really, because honey has water in it, you are also supposed to reduce the amount of water in the recipe as well by 1/4, but for challah, you can experiment and see what happens. I substiute other sweetners all the time- I never use sugar, except on pesach.

I hope this helps you a bit, if you want me to post a recipe w/ whole wheat flour, I can.

I have a recipe for 5 lbs. of white flour which uses honey. B"N I'll try to bring it in tomorrow to post.

hindyandrafi

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 9:10 pm
Lub... Call me and I will tell you how!!!!
Failing that.. I will even make one for you!! Wink Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads