Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What's a nice meaty menu to make for a crowd of about 25?

londoner4

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 4:53 pm
Preferably nice and easy coz cooking for a crowd probs time consuming enough??!!

mom2be1

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 4:58 pm
What type of recipies are you looking for? Something like meat knishes?

cc

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 5:02 pm
Sheva brochos style or birthday party?
Men, woman or both?

prettyinpink

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 7:34 pm
How about chicken paprikash with egg noodles and a salad bar?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 8:00 pm
I suggest you make one main with chicken, and if possible another with red meat. That way the guests will have more choice, and you can accomodate people who don't eat red meat.

For chicken, apricot chicken is nice and easy. Clean the roaster pieces cut in 1/8th, season lightly with salt, cover with combination of apricot jam, dry white wine, mustard, chopped onions. Cover loosely and bake in 175C oven (reduce for fan oven) for about 45min to 1hr. Another nice one for a large crowd is chicken skewers--cut breast or thigh pieces in bite-size chunks, marinate in any sauce (I like using regular italian dressings) in double ziplock bags for a few hours. Skewer (you can stretch by alternating chicken with mushrooms or cut red peppers) and broil till cooked.

I also make coronation chicken salad--posted in different thread, do a search.

For meat, you can do brisket (I always find good value fresh, ie unpickled ones at Kosher Warehouse). Sear meat on both sides, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and GENEROUS amount of paprika. Slice/chop carrots, celery and onions. In a large baking dish (or you can use doubled foil pan), put 1/2 of chopped veggies on the bottom, place meat, sprinkle onion soup mix powder, and cover with the remaining veggies. Pour 1cup dry red wine. Seal the dish/foil pan with double foil, cook 180C for 1hr, then reduce heat to 150C and cook for at least 4-5hours depending on the size. Check for doneness, let cool completely and slice. Skim off fat, whizz veggies and juice for yummy gravy.

Alternatively you can do meatballs in tomato sauce.

culinaryk

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 5:20 am
When I have to cook for a crowd I like to do steak and mushrooms. It is delicious and best of all you can freeze it. Everyone loves it.

http://culinarykosher.com/reci.....s/118

intrigued

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 5:53 am
culinaryk wrote:
When I have to cook for a crowd I like to do steak and mushrooms. It is delicious and best of all you can freeze it. Everyone loves it.

I wanted to ask you this. I made it a few times and it came out delicious. The last 2 times I tried it dried out and came out awful. I know the problem is that my flame is playing up so it wasn't as low as it should be. Is there anything you can suggest to prevent this in the future with my tricky flame? Or it will just always flop? I was thinking of maybe cutting the time if that made sense? Or maybe there is another reason why this is happening. My flame is low but not extremely low.Thanks!

culinaryk

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 6:12 am
The flame has to be very low so if yours plays up I would suggest watching it carefully. When you say it was awful what exactly was the problem, taste or texture or something else. You can also try putting a little oil on the bottom of the pan.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 6:56 am
culinaryk wrote:

this recipe gives absoulutely no indication of the type of meat you should use. steak just means a slice of beef - are you talking about rib or chuck or something else?

culinaryk

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 6:59 am
you need to use thin slices of steak, it can be whatever you want. In Israel I use "steak ayin"

intrigued

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 8:06 am
culinaryk wrote:
The flame has to be very low so if yours plays up I would suggest watching it carefully. When you say it was awful what exactly was the problem, taste or texture or something else. You can also try putting a little oil on the bottom of the pan.

I did put olive oil in. It was awful as in dried out and no juice. I keep on trying again as I know it can be good!! It's just the last 2 times I really didn't like it.

Amital

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 9:38 am
I would do several salads to start out (we usually do hummus, roasted eggplant, pepper, carrot, and zhug). Maybe an olive relish/tapanade here, which has fish, so depends on how you are serving and logistics.

I like a meat and a chicken main dish so people can choose and you have a good chance of getting everyone something they like. I'd usually do chicken pieces (BBQ or spice rubbed) and sweet and sour meatballs. Then you need sides. I would do mostly kugel-y types because it's easy to make bigger ones. A starchy one like potato or noodle, a green like spinach/broccoli, and a few other options, maybe a rice for the meatballs.

Then dessert. That's my favorite part! Wink

dimples

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 9:44 am
I once did a buffet style dinner (for abt 30 pple + kids), this was my menu:

franks n blanks
fried chicken drumsticks
poppers/chicken nuggets (poppers w/o the sauce)
potato kugel

I ordered heroes, a 9x13 chinese beef dish, and mini egg rolls. I also had a few salads that pple made for me, and a small sweet table (cake, biscotti, cut up fruit, etc).

hope this is what your looking for.

culinaryk

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 10:01 am
intrigued: does your frying pan have a good cover. It has to be tightly covered.

intrigued

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 10:10 am
culinaryk wrote:
intrigued: does your frying pan have a good cover. It has to be tightly covered.

It's a really good cover. It came together and covers tightly. I know it can come out good as it did in the past I just have to figure out whats causing it to come out like that. It's a shame as it was a really good recipe.

(sorry op for hijacking)

amother

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 1:37 am
we had a appetizer of meat lasagne and then a glazed chicken with rice and mini soufle's you can also do a chicken or meat crepe first and then something with meat as the main as well.

londoner4

Post Sat, Jul 02 2011, 6:24 pm
tnx all its 4 bday party my boys' first so wanted to do something nice and crowd pleasing but think the consensus was that wen people come for party they not expecting a whole meal but something more buffet like. mite stick to that but will definitely keep some of the gr8 recipes from all u guys tnx a lot x

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 12:45 am
Ah, for some reason I thought you were doing 7berachot or something like that. Obviously for the 1st birthday the food would be more for adults than the children, then? (Don't worry you'll have plenty of opportunities to organise kiddie b-day party where the main menu consists of sandwiches, mini pizza, fish & chips, veggie sticks)...

In that case, it would depend on what time you're hosting the party. I'd go for more buffet-ey foods if it's in the afternoons. Two maincourse meal sounds like more of a serious sit-down evening meal. Also, does it need to be meaty? I'm asking because a birthday cake with fresh cream filling is so much tastier than the parve version with custard.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen