Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
RUDE people in upstate walmart yesterday
Previous  1  2

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 11:03 pm
delete

Last edited by MaBelleVie on Mon, Jul 04 2011, 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

HavingItAll

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 11:34 pm
Well, since our community is demonstrably prone to associating negative behavior of one member of a visible minority with the whole group, all the more reason to be mentschen (is there a feminine plural?) when we're in public, particularly when we're visibly Jewish. (In my neck of the woods, long skirt and kerchief makes people think "hippie who doesn't know that trend ended 30 years ago" rather than "Jewish".)

Depressed

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 11:40 pm
Fox wrote:
Very distressing!

There is apparently something about Wal-Mart that causes people to lose all inhibitions. I've seen behavior and dress on the part of customers that suggests that they're in their bedrooms or basements -- not even the comparative formality of their living or dining rooms. In fact, there's even a website that documents the outrageous stuff people wear to Wal-Mart (www.peopleofwalmart.com).

Non-Jews, as a group, will never love us. But you have to wonder why so many people seem determined to give them evidence for their worst prejudices!

I dont think its Walmart, more like the country and summer. I have been going to Walmart in Howell near Lakewood, weekly for over 20 years, and its always been a very pleasant experience...

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 11:47 pm
Wow! What ahavas yisroel! An entire thread knocking frum jews (Frum jews being derogatorily called frummies.... )
But 1 word about a diff group of pple & wham!
That's the only problem you found on that thread?!?!

Simple1

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 7:41 am
amother wrote:
Wow! What ahavas yisroel! An entire thread knocking frum jews (Frum jews being derogatorily called frummies.... )

Um - that's a problem on this site.

I'm with Depressed - nothing like that goes on in Howel (Lkwd) Walmart. Maybe it's the "country"/ vacation that lets people loose?

HavingItAll

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 8:39 am
amother wrote:

Hey, anonymous - criticizing behavior in your own group that you've actually observed isn't called bashing. Slandering an entire community you're not part of? That's offensive.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 4:33 pm
amother wrote:

I think it's important for frum Jews to be aware about all these issues.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 4:34 pm
HavingItAll wrote:
Well, since our community is demonstrably prone to associating negative behavior of one member of a visible minority with the whole group, all the more reason to be mentschen (is there a feminine plural?) when we're in public, particularly when we're visibly Jewish. (In my neck of the woods, long skirt and kerchief makes people think "hippie who doesn't know that trend ended 30 years ago" rather than "Jewish".)

Mentschen is plural, male or female.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 4:50 pm
kitov wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
Sigh. You didn't even have to write upstate and I'd have known you were referring to that. Though I unfortunately see similar behavior EVERYwhere from certain people. The obliviousness to their surroundings is often appalling. I hate going to stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls where there's hours of browsing and hear ONLY the Jewish people (mostly) speaking loudly, kids running amok etc.. I'm embarrassed to be associated with people like them and have to bight my tongue every single time not to say anything to them. Though I wonder if that's the right thing to do (not say anything).

Having sampled discount department stores in Manhattan, let me tell you, by comparison., the yidden still make me proud.

Overall, yes. But it is extremely uncomfortable for me (and others) to be associated with oblivious people that talk loudly, yell, and are generally just not aware of proper decorum in stores, regardless of the fact that others might be worse.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
and what's with the women in the long shabbos robes? Are they too lazy to get dressed? They looked like they were wearing black nightgowns how pathetic!

It would be a good idea to let them know that they look pathetic, because many of them think it's 'cool' to wear a long robe, which is not something they usually do (wear anything long) outdoors.

kitov

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 9:16 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
kitov wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
Sigh. You didn't even have to write upstate and I'd have known you were referring to that. Though I unfortunately see similar behavior EVERYwhere from certain people. The obliviousness to their surroundings is often appalling. I hate going to stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls where there's hours of browsing and hear ONLY the Jewish people (mostly) speaking loudly, kids running amok etc.. I'm embarrassed to be associated with people like them and have to bight my tongue every single time not to say anything to them. Though I wonder if that's the right thing to do (not say anything).

Having sampled discount department stores in Manhattan, let me tell you, by comparison., the yidden still make me proud.

Overall, yes. But it is extremely uncomfortable for me (and others) to be associated with oblivious people that talk loudly, yell, and are generally just not aware of proper decorum in stores, regardless of the fact that others might be worse.

Agreed, this is why we don't step afoot in the monticello gesheft, to avoid redding our faces. embarrassed

Levtov

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 10:41 am
The fact is that Walmart in Monticello has recordbreaking sales in the Monticello stores during the summer. Obviously those rowdy customers are bringing them BIG BUCKS. $$$$$$'S IS ALL THAT COUNTS!!!!! BUT, Yiddisha kinder should be a sample of good and ethical behavior...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette