Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you check raspberry's?

intrigued

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 9:04 am
Growing up we never had them because apparently they are difficult to check. I bought some today as I really fancy them. Does anyone know how you are supposed to check them? TIA

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 9:07 am
I learnt that you can't.

Bea21

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 9:16 am
Check out www.crcweb org. Great website from a great hechsher, has info on buying and checking fruits and veggies.
But I thnk they (and most others) say no fresh raspberries. (You might be able to puree them, though, but not sure)

Isramom8

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 9:19 am
You don't, I heard.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 10:16 am
You dip them in soapy water and look them all.
Yes, we have them. Why not, since we like them and are willing to make an effort.

drumjj

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 11:18 am
we dont use them either but some beis dins here do but the lbd doesnt. I think u have to soak them in soapy water, empty out the water, see if it has bugs and do it a few times till the water is empty. as far as I know

Grandmama

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 11:37 am
No more fresh raspberrys for me. I washed them in warm soapy water, and rinsed them thoroughly, and still saw huge bugs crawling on them after their bath. The bugs hide inside and grip the berry, and no matter how many times I wash them, I can clearly see the black bugs crawling on them. They are not tiny bugs, but a size that is seen if your eyesight is good! After seeing this, I decided no more fresh raspberrys. I do eat strawberries though, after washing and checking thoroughly.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 4:53 pm
I have heard of someone putting them first in a freezer for 10-15min, allegedl that's supposed to get the bugs crawl out. Then agitate/wash in soapy water, change water. (Methinks it's also the same as blackberries)

Having said that, I don't buy raspberries at stores. If we have desperate cravings, we go to a local pick-your-own farm. The inside cavity is where raspberries are connected to the tree. If it's tightly connected, there's really no room for bugs to get in.

Dini20

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 9:49 pm
I asked my rabbi & he said no raspberries at all - fresh or frozen. No way to check/clean.

benny

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 10:16 pm
I soak them in soapy water. Then blow very hard into the hole. if there are bugs they will crawl out. Wash them again and serve. (just dont tell anyone how you checked them!! embarrassed )

mizle10

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 2:22 am
I heard you can't

shnitzel

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 9:21 am
I use the star k method which involves blowing into each raspberry and watching to see if bugs crawl out. I then use them in things where they are blended or cooked.

http://star-k.org/cons-vegdetail.php?ID=42

ElTam

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 11:09 am
I also learned you can't. How do they not fall apart/make a huge mess when you are washing them?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen