Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to Quit Your Job Gracefully

amother

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 11:01 am
I love my job - I love the people, the work - everything...put I am moving and need to quit.

I dont know how!!

I dont have the courage to face my boss and say good-bye... I feel guilty quitting after I begged to be excepted... Would it be rude of me to do it via e-mail?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 11:07 am
Yeah, that would be rude.

Just go in and say you enjoyed working there but you're moving and you're giving them notice.

shoshina

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 11:08 am
Yes it would be rude to do it via email.

Tell your boss you would like to have a meeting. Let him or her choose the time. Come in, sit down, and say exactly what you just said on imamother

"Sarah, you know I have loved working here, you know how hard I tried to be accepted here, and you know how meaningful my relationship with my co-workers is. Thats why I'm so devastated to tell you that my family is moving, and I will need to resign"

THEN make sure you do as best you can by the company in handing over your position, training your replacement, etc. You want this company as a reference because eventually you will want a new job in your new home!

Write a thank you note after you leave and mail it to your boss.

Queen18

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 11:12 am
Do not do it via email. Set up a meeting with your boss and explain your situation and why you are leaving. I am sure he/she will be very nice and understanding about it.

IloveHashem613

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
I love my job - I love the people, the work - everything...put I am moving and need to quit.

I dont know how!!

I dont have the courage to face my boss and say good-bye... I feel guilty quitting after I begged to be excepted... Would it be rude of me to do it via e-mail?

Quitting via email is just as bad as getting fired/laid off via email. Its a very impersonal and unprofessional way to do things. Having to leave a job due to moving happens, its just one of those things that happens in life, people move on and if your boss is a normal reasonable person he/she will understand that. Keep in mind that you always want to leave a job on the best note possible so that when it comes to future interviews, you can use them as a reference and they will say good things about you hopfully. Schedule a face to face meeting, be really respectful and make sure to give as much notice as possible. Explain exactly what you said here that you really love your job and are not happy to leave but since you are moving, you have no choice and thank them for being really good to you etc...

busydev

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 1:30 pm
def do it in person.

I did and I also loved everything about my job other then the fact that I was a secretary and my new job was bookkeeping and thats more in my field.

I was almost crying when I told him. and I told him how much I loved the place and the only only only reason im leaving is because I need that experience and im unable to get it here. I felt terrible but thats called life I guess....

amother

Post Thu, Jul 14 2011, 5:35 pm
OP here.

It looks like imamother wins over my emotions. I was planning on telling them today but the whole day I just walked up and down the hall - I could not get myself to knock...step into my bosses office...and talk (RA).

Thanks - I will let you know how it went...because I have go no other choice Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics