Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby Name Poll: Before, After, Between?

A poll about baby names (answer what is true for most of your children)
We picked out names before the baby was born and that's what we named the baby  
 47%  [ 18 ]
We thought about names before, but didn't pick the name until the baby was born  
 47%  [ 18 ]
We didn't get to pick our own names, family rules decided for us  
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 38

ElTam

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 12:49 pm
I'm curious about what people's experiences are when naming babies.

DD #1--We had her name picked out and used it. (Her name is one Yiddish name and one Hebrew word used as a name.)
DD #2--We had her name picked out, and once she was born we realized it wasn't the right name. Went back to our old lists and picked out a name about five hours before my husband had to go to shul. (She has a name from the Tanach and a name from Hebrew words.)
DS#1--We had no clue. We had lists but couldn't decide. DH picked the names (both from Tanach) as he was driving to shul for the bris.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 1:25 pm
there should be an option for other- I think and talk about names, but my husband wont even hear of it.....with our son, I had a name that I really liked, and that was what we ended up using.
with our daughter, we didnt talk about it till after she was born, and we didnt agree on a name until I was (literally) about to leave the hospital- all my stuff was packed, the baby was dressed, and he had gone to get the car.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 3:10 pm
We pick names much before, they are not imposed, but we wouldn't think of not naming after family.

Rodent

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 6:40 pm
All chosen before birth. No family names.

mominisrael2

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 1:32 am
In all 3 cases we waited to discuss it until finding out the gender, then picked right away due to naming after family, and adjusted at the last minute twice (once because we thought another relative was going to name after someone and didn't so we added a second middle name, and once because we couldn't use the relative's original name and couldn't decide which translation to use).

Marion

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 3:27 am
The first time we chose a boy's name and a girl's name...the 2nd time we knew it would be a boy so we only discussed boy names...the 3rd time we didn't know again, but already had a girl's name that we hadn't used (though we did revisit the option) so again only discussed boys' names. Next time, BE"H we need to have a girl!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names