Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Maggots in the kitchen... I feel like a failure

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 9:48 pm
ugh. it gives me the heebie jeebies just to write it.
we.
have.
maggots.
for the 2nd time.
about a week ago, I noticed a terrible smell in my fleishig kitchen. (we have 2 apartments, thus 2 kitchens.) I hadn't been in the kitchen it around 5 days, because we had been having bbqs at other ppls homes and stuff. I leaned over to see if it was the garbage that smelled and woah! I saw a ton of little white maggots. lots of freaking out and crying later, and DH took care of it. mind you, I'm the girl who is FINE with bugs, always the one called in to smash the spider or get rid of the centipede. so DH got rid of the garbage bag, checked around the room, and gave it the all-clear.
next day, I found 2 more wiggling on the floor. freaked out, sprayed them with Raid, and bravely picked them up with a tissue and flushed them.

took me about 3 days to stop jumping every time I got an itch.

well.

I went in to clean up from dinner tonight, and started to sweep the floor... when I saw one... then 2.. then 3...4....
I DIDN'T cry, I didn't even panic. I just got out the Raid, then texted DH that he better come home soon and help me.

he took out the garbage and is working on cleaning up now. but I'm so so so freaked out.... and I feel like a failure of a housewife. I know I'm not clean enough- I only sweep like once a week, I often leave dishes in the sink overnight- but even after my scare last week, I just can't keep the house spotless. I'm improving, no doubt, since I got married, but obviously I'm not doing a good enough job! I mean, MAGGOTS??????

imamothers, I need your advice, support, rachamim. I'm bracing myself to get some nasty comments from people who want to add to my feelings of inadequacy and call me gross. to everyone else, thank you in advance.... I need you now...

de_goldy

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 9:54 pm
If I were you I think I'd just focus on the kitchen for now. Take the garbage out at least once a day, sweep at least once a day and wipe counters daily. Mop twice a week minimum.

If you have to let the rest of the house go for a while until you get this under control then do that. Nothing terrible will happen if the bedrooms get neglected for a while. Just focus all your energy on the kitchen.

Good luck!!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 9:56 pm
so, first, we have organic garbage bins and I have found that if I avoid putting raw protein in the bin it is much better with the maggot issue. yup, that means that every time I filet a fish, or debone a chicken or skin it or whatever, I completely cook the waste before throwing it out. The other alternative suggested to us by the city is that you freeze it and put it in the bin the night before garbage day, but I prefer the cooked method because I know my freezer will just fill up with frozen crud otherwise.

also, we don't actually take the garbage out every single day, but if you are having this problem, it sounds like you need to. also, a great way to kill them is plain old table salt. or in the bin, boiling water.

I really think leaving the garbage there for 5 days was not the ideal thing to do. no wonder it smelled an became a maggot factory.

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 10:46 pm
I didn't realize the garbage had been in there that long. it had been a crazy week- normally it goes out every 2 or 3 days, I think.

I'm really beating myself up now. not good.

Merrymom

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 11:58 pm
Garbage is not meant to stay in your house more than one day, you'd be suprised how many people don't know this. If yours isn't full at the end of the day then your garbage bin is too big and you need a smaller one.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 1:47 am
chanamiriam wrote:
so, first, we have organic garbage bins and I have found that if I avoid putting raw protein in the bin it is much better with the maggot issue. yup, that means that every time I filet a fish, or debone a chicken or skin it or whatever, I completely cook the waste before throwing it out. The other alternative suggested to us by the city is that you freeze it and put it in the bin the night before garbage day, but I prefer the cooked method because I know my freezer will just fill up with frozen crud otherwise.

also, we don't actually take the garbage out every single day, but if you are having this problem, it sounds like you need to. also, a great way to kill them is plain old table salt. or in the bin, boiling water.

I really think leaving the garbage there for 5 days was not the ideal thing to do. no wonder it smelled an became a maggot factory.

You. are. BRILLIANT! You have no idea how much I love you right now. Very Happy

I keep a big stock pot (with a tight lid) on my counter for compostable food scraps, but in the summer it turns into a fruit fly factory. From now on, I'm keeping it in the freezer until I'm ready to take it out to the bin.

OP, I feel your pain. I moved a dish towel the other day, and found about 20 fat maggots crawling around under it. I nearly gagged. It took all my nerve to clean up, and then bleach the heck out of everything. I'm actually glad that my DH is out of town, because if he'd seen that I'd have died of embarrassment. embarrassed

Frum

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 7:39 am
Funny, what is it with maggots that makes us feel sick? I fortunately don't have this problem. Guess it helps that it has been raining non stop since June. So far for our summer plans.

Anyway, I'd also advise you to focus on the kitchen. Whipe the counter every day before going to sleep (why not add some bleach) and put a new cloth every day. If you can't take the garbage out daily, wrap meat and fish garbage in separate bags before discarting them.

Good luck, and don't feel bad about yourself! Being a housewife is work in progress, we learn every day!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry