Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Lamb vs. beef

yo'ma

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 10:23 am
Do you taste such a difference between the two? My fil usually shechts/sells beef, but he went down south, that's where the sheep/lamb are, and did a whole bunch of 'em. My dh brought home a few pieces and he was going to give it all to his parents, but I told him to leave a piece for us. He wasn't going to because he figured it's so similar anyway. What do you think? The piece we have is a lamb chop. Now, I just have to do something with it Wink . Maybe I'll save it for pesach.

de_goldy

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 10:25 am
Totally different!! I love lamp chops - grew up in Australia where there is lots of lamb. Now in new york and my local butchers do not sell any type of lamb :-(

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 1:56 pm
lamb is yummy. Tastes very different then beef. It's usually very tender, unlike beef. It just needs grilling, although some cuts do need slow cooking. The cheaper cuts are amazing in cholent, unlike beef it still retains flavour.

My husband can't stand lamb, people either love it or hate it. Although if I roast a shoulder of lamb he might have a few peices but he can't stand the smell of grilling lamb.

I once bought lambchops in NY and they tasted disgusting. It was probably mutton not lamb. (mutton is adult sheep, much stronger taste)

try it, you might be a convert!

Interesting how americans don't eat lamb...I once served it on shabbos and it was the first time some of our american guests had tasted it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 2:03 pm
Very different.
Go for it!

saw50st8

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 2:10 pm
Raisin, I love lamb! Then again, I come from a long line of butchers, so its in my blood :-)

nylon

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 2:41 pm
I love lamb (though I prefer broiled or roasted to stewed; I like it pink). The cost is what keeps me from eating it regularly. My favorite treat when I was a little girl was rib lamb chops.

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 2:48 pm
It may be more similar here in Argentina bc the beef is already so tender and good. I've had it a few times and really liked it but it really is very similar to Argentinian beef. Let us know how it comes out once you cook it.

Smiling Wife

Post Tue, Mar 22 2011, 11:19 pm
Lamb is DELICIOUS I'd take it anytime over beef!

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 5:07 am
BennysMommy wrote:
It may be more similar here in Argentina bc the beef is already so tender and good. I've had it a few times and really liked it but it really is very similar to Argentinian beef. Let us know how it comes out once you cook it.

apart from being tender, it really has a different taste, compared to say, rib steak.

Nylon, for some reason spare rib chops are not so expensive. For about €5 I can get a big pack of them. Enough for me and the kids (dh hates them) Probably per pound of meat they work out more expensive since they are so fatty and there is the bone, but still, we love them.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Aug 10 2011, 5:27 pm
We had it and we're going to stick with the beef. The taste was a bit different, but nothing so special and it was soft, but not any softer than our usual meat. I think we have one more piece in our freezer, so if anyone from argentina wants it, come and get it. It's not a big piece and I doubt I'll ever use it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen