Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Music

amother

Post Tue, Aug 23 2011, 11:31 am
if we are not allowed to listen to musical instruments for every day because theres no bais hamikdash, how come most frum yidden do? what is the heter? I love music, but dont want to violate halacha if its wrong.

freidasima

Post Tue, Aug 23 2011, 11:39 am
Because once golus dragged on and on chazal changed it to not having a full orchestra. Meaning always have one kli less than one should as a sign of avel.

Jewish practice, whether we like to admit it or not, evolves. There are descriptions of Tisha Be'av in the 3rd century which we don't keep to today, such as annointing a rock or going up to har habayis etc.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 23 2011, 11:55 am
op-so, technically, most of the popular jewish music today would not be allowed.since they use very sophisticated equipment and great instrumentation. im embarrassed to bring this up with people because dont want to be seen as "extreme" or weird. Confused

someoneoutthere

Post Tue, Aug 23 2011, 2:31 pm
I dont have teshuvos in front of me but post holocaust the general takanos against music were all but eliminated.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Aug 23 2011, 3:05 pm
There are different opinions on what is allowed today. Most of the poskim allow music in private homes. I know a family who don't eat a meal while listening to music (unless it's a seudas mitzva), although they listen otherwise.

Some poskim differentiate between live and recorded music.

Most poskim do not allow live music in public places which is not for a mitzva (e.g. wedding, bar mitzva, bris, siyum).

It's interesting you bring this up, because whenever someone here mentions that poskim in EY have all forbidden live music concerts, people always complain and say they can't understand - I wonder how there is any heter just from this halacha.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 23 2011, 3:05 pm
op-id really love to see where it comes from. just to set my mind at ease that im not doing the wrong thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions