Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Putting baby boys name on birth certificate before the bris
Previous  1  2  3

DovDov

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 4:58 pm
My rav said it was fine to write the name on the birth certificate; no halachic significance.

With #3 we were really conflicted re: the name when I left the hospital and so I left it blank and filed the birth certificate paperwork later. Apparently the hospital decided to file for a social security number anyway, so now we have a social security card in the name of "Not Yet Named Lastname." I don't think they gave us any trouble on our taxes...

Liebs

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 5:12 pm
I once heard about an african american who's name was Fimeel. Her mom said they gave her that choice on the applications....male/female

Bea21

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 6:55 pm
Another one who went to the LOR with a list of shailos, this included... He said the same as above: halachikly, the birth certificate means nothing.
We decided the name for ds1 at the beginning of 3rd trimester (one for boy, one for girl), ds2 at beginning of 9th month

chavamom

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 10:45 pm
Liebs wrote:
I once heard about an african american who's name was Fimeel. Her mom said they gave her that choice on the applications....male/female

Uh, not. http://www.snopes.com/racial/l.....s.asp

tizunabi

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 12:24 am
Marion wrote:
Another non-issue for us in Israel.

Not exactly. If everything is fine and dandy its not a problem, you get a form which has a spot to enter a name after naming. But I have friends who's DS who has a chronic (genetic) illness and they needed to get medication for him, have blood tests, and see a pediatrician right away.

In order to get their insurance card (which you need for all that) they needed to tell the insurance company the name, so before the brit (which was when he was 10 days old), they needed to decide and register.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 2:53 am
My friend was told the partial name is ok (like Tsvi instead of Tsvi Hirsch), also to share with family for shalom bayis. I don't know what she ended up doing.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 3:26 am
Ruchel wrote:
My friend was told the partial name is ok (like Tsvi instead of Tsvi Hirsch), also to share with family for shalom bayis.

This is the first time I heard telling the name increases shalom with the family. LOL

In EY they give you a slip with the registration form which you mail back with the name if you don't write it then. The baby gets into the "system" immediately with their id number, which they get already in the delivery room on their hospital bracelet.

Two of my sons still have kuppat cholim (health fund) cards with no first name (just last name and ID #) because they were sent out immediately (they get the info from bituach leumi) before we had registered the names.

merelyme

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 3:33 am
DovDov wrote:
My rav said it was fine to write the name on the birth certificate; no halachic significance.

With #3 we were really conflicted re: the name when I left the hospital and so I left it blank and filed the birth certificate paperwork later. Apparently the hospital decided to file for a social security number anyway, so now we have a social security card in the name of "Not Yet Named Lastname." I don't think they gave us any trouble on our taxes...

It's worthwhile to take care of this. I have a friend who legally changed her name from "Baby Girl Lastname" when she was a teenager. She brought a letter from her pediatrician saying what her name was.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 3:37 am
shalhevet wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
My friend was told the partial name is ok (like Tsvi instead of Tsvi Hirsch), also to share with family for shalom bayis.

This is the first time I heard telling the name increases shalom with the family. LOL

And many of my friends who had boys had this situation. No, it's not funny for them if they are the type who waits for the bris to announce the name.

Marion

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 3:38 am
tizunabi wrote:
Marion wrote:

Not exactly. If everything is fine and dandy its not a problem, you get a form which has a spot to enter a name after naming. But I have friends who's DS who has a chronic (genetic) illness and they needed to get medication for him, have blood tests, and see a pediatrician right away.

In order to get their insurance card (which you need for all that) they needed to tell the insurance company the name, so before the brit (which was when he was 10 days old), they needed to decide and register.

On kupah? Or foreign insurance? Because I got 3 kupah cards saying "רוזן בן"...seeing the pediatrician (which I insist on before the bris) was NOT an issue!

tizunabi

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 5:22 am
Marion wrote:
tizunabi wrote:
Marion wrote:

On kupah? Or foreign insurance? Because I got 3 kupah cards saying "רוזן בן"...seeing the pediatrician (which I insist on before the bris) was NOT an issue!

On Kupah. But maybe because they needed the meds (at 30,000 shekel a pop and they got 4 within the first week). That's what they were told.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 12:52 pm
I don't know about the halachic side of things but I do know that my brother had a late bris and my parents had to name him so they filled out the birth cert. with the name they were gonna give and soon enough the letter came from the dr addressed to his initials. Well me and my sister guessed his name Smile but it doesnt end there!
3 days before his bris, the mohel said ok I will ask a shaila if I can make the bris in 3 days (was a good day for us lol) just then my father got a phone call that a close relative had died and a few minutes later the mohel got a yes that he could make the bris. Well my parents had to pay 50 pounds or something to change his name on his birth cert. LOL

amother

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 12:58 pm
For those in Israel, how long did it take to get the birth certificate? It took me well over a year!

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 1:08 pm
Our Rav told us we can give a name for the birth certificate but not to use it outloud. I told the woman in the hospital once and that was it until the bris. I didnt call him by the name nor did I tell any family what it was. Having a deadline helped us to be more decisive in choosing.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 1:32 pm
DS & DIL (very yeshivish kollel types) did this (naming for a relative) because where they live it is so hard to change it after.

Well, between when they did it and the bris, DS's rebbe was niftar and the baby would be the first baby named for the rebbe, so they wanted to use that name instead. They did so, but then went through a major hassle to change the birth certificate name.

ewa-jo

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
For those in Israel, how long did it take to get the birth certificate? It took me well over a year!

They give you one at the hospital a few hours after the baby is born (with their TZ# on it) and when they're a month old, you can go to misrad hapnim and get the 'real' one with their name on it (and a copy in English) and apply for their Israeli passport too. As I remember, they print it out for you and you walk out of misrad hapnim with it. I'm not sure why it took you over a year to get it. The passport takes a day or two to get delivered to you, which is surprisingly fast.

My kupat cholim also mails out cards with "tinok chadash lastname" on them. I have two of those now, so when I take one of my sons to the doctor, I have to look at the TZ# on the cards to remember whose belongs to who... my older son has a lower TZ# than my younger one.

MommyZ

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 2:15 pm
We put the names on both our sons birth certificates before their brisim.

Marion

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 1:38 am
You walk out of the hospital with a manual birth certificate. It can take up to a month for the information to get from the hospital to Misrad haPnim for an official one though. (Yes, you walk out of there with it, a passport too in some offices.) With DS#1 we had it within a week of his bris; the others took longer.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names