Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Healthy snacks

amother

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 4:48 am
what do you eat for healthy snacks? I love junk food and obviously can't have junk and lose weight too!

I love fresh fruit but summer fruit season is ending (like watermelon etc..) and not much fruit is available near me.

any suggestions for good snacks? I am a big snacker-- putting me on a diet with no snacking has never worked!

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 5:10 am
Depends what you call healthy.

These are things I like to snack on, and I think they're all pretty healthy.

Popcorn.
Pickles
Olives. (In fact, eating some right now.)
Veggie spears with: techina, chumus, salad dressing
Apple with peanut butter

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 9:35 am
Makes snacks part of your meals. that way you can have worthy snacks.

4thebooks

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 2:50 am
Raw almonds, filberts sunflower seeds. not to much though cuz its a fat as well. Hummus and veggies w/w pretzels Yogurt n granola.. there are soooo many healthy snacks!!

de_goldy

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 11:33 am
home made apple sauce - sometimes I eat it with cut up fruit inside, sometimes I eat it half frozen.

spelt pretzels

cucumber sticks (or other veggies)

I make myself ices out of frozen fruit and bananas blended. Can eat this as a smoothie or freeze for ices. I also make ices from bananas (overripe), cocoa and natural peanut butter, blended, and I snack on these.

Planning to try making beet chips with week.

avocado on spelt matzah/rice cakes can also be a good snack.

csk

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 12:09 am
try melting a bag of sugar free chocolate chips, 1/2 cup peanut butter (regular) and mix with a sleeve of fiber one cereal. Make small scoops of the coated cereal and place on waxed paper. Freeze. When frozen, transfer to a ziploc bag. Great snack.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 11:27 am
OP- I didn't say this before, because I didn't want to be mean, but maybe it will help you ...

Food is fuel. Food is not entertainment. If you think of it that way, you won't snack as much and your weight will come down.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 11:28 am
csk wrote:
try melting a bag of sugar free chocolate chips, 1/2 cup peanut butter (regular) and mix with a sleeve of fiber one cereal. Make small scoops of the coated cereal and place on waxed paper. Freeze. When frozen, transfer to a ziploc bag. Great snack.

Are there kosher, pareve sugar free chocolate chips? What brand? Thanks.

Simple1

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 11:30 am
whole wheat crackers or rice cakes with peanut butter (you can use low fat), or with dips such as tehina, or chumus; or cheese.

canned beans or chick peas.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 3:35 pm
"Makes snacks part of your meals. that way you can have worthy snacks."

I don't get this.. can someone explain?

buzzinmom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 3:39 pm
matbucha does havent so many calories. maybe have some lo fat dips with rice cakes. frozen grapes are yum too. I also liket o snack on yogurts and other dairy products. they say part of a good diet is to have 3 servings of dairy everyday. I also dont like to drink diet soda...it makes me more sncaky!!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 5:01 pm
amother wrote:
"Makes snacks part of your meals. that way you can have worthy snacks."

I don't get this.. can someone explain?

Like ... I don't sit down to eat a real breakfast. I have a coffee when I get to work, a banana with my vitamins, another fruit later that morning, and an energy bar if I really need it before I go to the gym. (I eat lunch afterwards).

The breakfast is split into several parts. Get what I mean ?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 5:05 pm
I hear. thanks for explaining. but how do you do that for dinner? it sounds like a good idea..

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 5:21 pm
I don't know your lifestyle, but you might have some salad and chicken earlier, than a baked potato later. Or popcorn, since that's a starsch.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 5:27 pm
I keep going back and forth about popcorn. whats the deal with it- is it healthy or not? obviously not the buttered kind. I've never made homemade. don't you have to boil it in oil? I love popcorn but always felt so guilty eating it

nicole81

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 5:47 pm
amother wrote:
I keep going back and forth about popcorn. whats the deal with it- is it healthy or not? obviously not the buttered kind. I've never made homemade. don't you have to boil it in oil? I love popcorn but always felt so guilty eating it

you can get a popcorn popper on amazon fairly cheaply.

it's healthy, but it's a starch, so don't overdo it.

and I agree with CM. I take with me to work every day 2 pieces of fruit, a granola bar, pretzels with an individual chummus package, carrots, tomatoes, sometimes yogurt, and I have skim milk.

I go the entire day from 8-2 grazing, maybe coffee with milk and fruit at 8:30, a granola bar for a snack, a little later another fruit, etc.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 7:46 pm
Almonds-raw if you can take the taste
Landaus makes some good snacks that are lowfat like the drizzlers (which has some chocolate on it), potatoe crisps....
Shibolim also makes great stuff that are low calorie and lowfat
Mehadrin makes ice cream pops that are 60 calories each, tofuttie has fat free pops too
baby carrots are a good thing to munch on

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 7:46 pm
amother wrote:

Store bought ones are full of oil. you can make in the pot with a little oil.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise