Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
American-style Yeshiva in E. Yisrael? Please help asap!
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 5:09 am
Chani8, thanks for posting that.

Could you tell me please what you did what your son (you menttioned that you put him in a MO yeshivah. But, how did that help? Also, do you live in a charedi neighborhood?

Isramom8

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 5:25 am
amother wrote:
Thanks, Isramom. Do you know if it has a p'nimia? Also, could you give me a description of the place/level of learning/schedule, types of boys that go there?

Thanks.

P'nimiya, yes.

As far as a description, these places are generally described similarly, as inspiring bachurim who do not fit into the regular framework. The smart thing to do is to get an interview and see/speak to the hanhala yourselves. You need to start to get an idea of what is/is not for your son. You have to start seeing places to get a feeling for what will be good for him.

If your son is not into inappropriate stuff then you won't need the most "alternative" places. But you won't find the shtarkest, most involved bochurim at yeshivos that are not high pressured. Find the right balance for your son.

MO yeshivos are just a different hashkafa, not usually less pressured (they have limudei chol). I don't see how that would necessarily help.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 5:53 am
There are "good" yeshivas which teach on a lower standard (not necessarily low) which aren't aimed at geniuses. Good as in good boys. He shouldn't have to put so much time into reviewing outside the hours for sedarim - those are quite long enough for many (most?) boys. Sounds to me that this is where at least part of the problem lies.

You need somewhere where the emphasis is on learning b'simcha. Sorry I don't know enough to suggest anywhere specific, maybe others will know - or maybe you can ask someone at his old cheder/ talmud torah for suggestions. I hope Isramom's suggestion is helpful.

to the poster who objected that the hanhala wouldn't let their son out for a tiyul. Obviously we don't know the specifics of what your son needed and maybe the hanhala were being inflexible under the circumstances, but just think what kind of effect this can have on an entire class/ shiur. They are all studying and not on vacation and suddenly their friend disappears for a day to go on a tiyul with his family. When Reuven wants to go tomorrow with his family and Shimon the next week, they can't say no any more. And that's the end of any serious learning for the entire class for the rest of the summer zeman.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 6:02 am
Isramom, thank you.

Ladies, my neighbor just called me up. Her sister-in-law recently lost her oldest son. She asked me to listen to a tape-recording on CHAZAK. Her ds came back to teshuva.

Please listen to this, it is so beautiful (about 10 minutes).

(03) 929-0707 Wait for some 'ilui nishmas names - about 15 seconds
Press 3. Press 2. Press 118 (pound).

This mother is so inspirational!

merelyme

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 6:05 am
OP, could you please clarify what you mean by "American-style yeshiva"?
Do you mean a yeshiva where they speak English, where they learn limudei chol, have a gym ...?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 7:59 am
Thank you to everyone who has responded, for helping me clarify what I am looking for. I really appreciate your help!

My ds has been burnt out by the Israeli style that he's been exposed to, and so I thought that since he speaks english, an english-speaking yeshiva might work for him.

In the meantime, I have been speaking to mechanchim, and they have encouraged me to keep him in the system here, and not to send him go to chul, or to an american-style yeshiva. They think that we should just look for a place where there is less pressure.

I think that I am feeling like the situation is more under control. I have some places to look into. But, if anyone has any more to contribute, I'd be interested to hear.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children