Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Food for thought...

Mamish Mama

Post Tue, Oct 18 2011, 10:30 am
Just thought I would share this interesting tid bit...

Q. When is it permitted to eat the Etrog?

A. During the holiday itself one may not have any benefit for the Etrog other than that of the Mitzvah. In Israel it is permitted to eat the etrog only on the eighth day and outside Israel, only on the ninth day -- last day of Sukkot. For this reason it is important to note that the custom for pregnant woman to bite off the Pittom (top of the Etrog) in order to have an easy labour, should only be done on the ninth day or after the holiday and not before. Also, there is a custom to make jam out of the etrog and to eat it on Tu B'Svat (birthday of trees). This is also beneficial for pregnant woman in order to have an easy labour and healthy child. In general, the jam can aid in becoming pregnant. R.Ovadia relates that one year the jam from his etrogim was given to two barren woman, and that year they both had children after eight and twelve years of no children. (Chazon Ovadia Laws of Sukkot p.444-450)

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Oct 18 2011, 11:41 am
I wouldn't eat it, since it's full of very bad chemicals and really not grown to be eaten
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions