Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
How long to register a domain name for?

goodgirl

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 2:23 pm
I am in the process of registering a domain name on godaddy and im not sure if I should do one year, two years, five years or ten years..... any ideas?

Also, how does web hosting work, the same? pay per year or monthly?

Thanks in advance!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 2:26 pm
If it's a new business venture, I'd do one year, just in case it doesn't work out. If it's for an existing organization or whatever who is just establishing web presence now, I'd do 3 or 5 years, since you'll get better rates, and chances are you'll still be around in that time span.

Not sure how hosting works on godaddy -- each hosting company is different. Usually it's a monthly rate, but you can pre-pay for a full year...

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 4:28 pm
goodgirl wrote:
I am in the process of registering a domain name on godaddy and im not sure if I should do one year, two years, five years or ten years..... any ideas?

Also, how does web hosting work, the same? pay per year or monthly?

Thanks in advance!

1. Hosting is paid monthly. I use Hostgator for hosting.

2. Your domain - It really depends. I would go for at least 2 years, if it's something you are serious about. I understand that the search engines (read: Google) gives your site more weight if it's registered for longer. If you are sure you'll still be working on this particular site for more than 2 years then register it for 3. I don't see a point in going for 10 years! Again, the advantage is an SEO (search engine optimization) one.
Be careful about all the extras Godaddy tries to get you to order. It can really all add up.

goodgirl

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 6:22 pm
THanks for the info!

Kayza

Post Wed, Aug 17 2011, 1:22 am
ChossidMom wrote:

Actually, that's not necessarily the case. Considering that in many cases, the yearly cost is in the $12 range, it makes no sense to charge monthly.
Quote:

Be careful about all the extras Godaddy tries to get you to order. It can really all add up.

True. It's not just GoDaddy. But, if you really do need hosting, they are not a bad choice (although others have had better at other hosts.)

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Aug 17 2011, 2:17 am
Kayza wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

Actually, that's not necessarily the case. Considering that in many cases, the yearly cost is in the $12 range, it makes no sense to charge monthly.

Please show me where Hostgator charges $12 yearly so that I can save lots of money.

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 12:24 pm
For my wedding website, I chose hosting to last 6 months, with the intention I would upload pictures there afterwards, I never did, but the html, css and coding work I did was a great portfolio addition and was on show as I started in my job, which was very useful in evidencing my skills.

I would say having it for longer than you expected is no bad thing, because whatever you use it for, there might be additional benefits gained from it....but no point breaking the bank to do so.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics