Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
HELP! Mouse in my house, shabbos guests on the floor...
Previous  1  2

shlomitsmum

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 5:00 pm
amother wrote:
Depressed wrote:
My husband worked for an exterminator in the summer, but Im in Lakewood. All I can say is find out if there is a store that sells bait-boxs and bait or powder in your neighborhood.

Do you know if those things actually work?

They are blood thinners .....we have cats cause a friend of mine lost a toddler from rat poison pellets and during a mice plague I was too afraid of poisons from hearing her story Crying

Depressed

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 5:08 pm
First off the bait or powder is highly toxic, one teaspoon will kill a child... But in the US, I dont know about anywhere else, it is sealed in foil packets that are impossible to open or plastic boxes, so its extremely effective for mice, rats and other rodents but 100% safe for children..

amother

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 5:14 pm
That's really scary.

Don't think I'm gonna risk it...

spring13

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 5:48 pm
If you can get hold of a humane trap somewhere, bait it with peanut butter and get someone to release it way out of doors. I caught my mouse within a day that way.

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M.....=1-12

amother

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 5:55 pm
I'd actually much prefer that. I have such rachamanus on the poor mouse - there's no way I could kill it. But I'm afraid it'll just find it's way right back in...

Peanut2

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 6:01 pm
My husband says that a person needs to make sure they've given all the maaser they owe when one has mice.
I'm not sure whether he's kidding or not.

Take comfort in knowing that at some point everyone has mice. My MIL had a floor you could eat off of 24/7 and a fancy house, and even she had mice at some point.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 6:30 pm
Peanut2 wrote:
My husband says that a person needs to make sure they've given all the maaser they owe when one has mice.
I'm not sure whether he's kidding or not.

Take comfort in knowing that at some point everyone has mice. My MIL had a floor you could eat off of 24/7 and a fancy house, and even she had mice at some point.

Thanks, I'll look into the maaser thing.

And thanks for the reassurance, though I am FAR from having a floor you could eat off of...

geemum

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 6:43 pm
Funny you should ask this question.... I found a mouse sitting in my walk in larder yesterday morning!
I screamed - that's what you're supposed to do? right?

anyhow - I called a pest control company who came and put poison under the kitchen units (not accessible to kids) and put glue traps in the larder/pantry.

And guess what..... I found the mouse on the trap - ewww. There so much cuter alive than dead! Really freaked out, but what can you do, have to just get on with prepping for shabbos and normal house stuff.

I hope it was only the one mouse and we haven't got a whole family - but apparently they usually live in small groups :-( which is why he recommended poison which they'll take back to the nest.

Thank G-d I haven't got anyone sleeping on the floor and we live in a house so we're all upstairs at night! Wishing the OP luck! Relieved I'm not the only one!

shnitzel

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 9:49 pm
Plug up every tiny hole with steel wool, there are always more mice, you just need to make sure they can't get in.

Just to share a horrifying story, last Shabbos in shul I opened a pack of crackers and pulled out the package and realized I was holding a mouse! I screamed and screamed and screamed and dropped it and ran while yelling at my toddler to run out. She just looked at me frozen until she finally squeaked "Ima, I too scared".

amother

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 10:17 pm
See if your guests can avoid sleeping on the floor. Maybe a couch? oR having little kids bunk together?

Secondly, mice like to stay close to the walls. So put the sticky traps there.Like in the corners. So if the mattresses need to be on the floor try to center them in the room.

Look over the room for any holes and fill them up with steel wool. Try to do a once over your guest area. Chances are the critter just scooted down some hole somewhere and you wont be seeing him again. Just get some sticky traps , it will help control any future mouse issues. Just stick to the traps and keep the crumbs away.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
shlomitsmum wrote:
If you are in TO kitties Ollie Simcha and Toby Tov are at your service! LOL

Hmmm...do they like traveling? Like 5,000+ miles or so?

I'll throw in a trip to the kotel, if they'd like... Very Happy

Go visit the kotel and bring home a yershalmi cat!

shlomitsmum

Post Fri, Nov 25 2011, 12:15 am
Depressed wrote:
First off the bait or powder is highly toxic, one teaspoon will kill a child... But in the US, I dont know about anywhere else, it is sealed in foil packets that are impossible to open or plastic boxes, so its extremely effective for mice, rats and other rodents but 100% safe for children..

Correct... this tragedy was in south america . they were pellets that looked like tictac. I was so scared I didn't even look for poison based pest control.

spring13

Post Fri, Nov 25 2011, 1:37 am
amother wrote:
I'd actually much prefer that. I have such rachamanus on the poor mouse - there's no way I could kill it. But I'm afraid it'll just find it's way right back in...

I took it to a park, and got some of those sonar plugin thingies. We haven't seen it again. Might as well try something gentle first, right?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics