Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Silan date syrup

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 9:27 am
Is this a good sugar substitute?

Inspired

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 9:36 am
depends for what.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 9:36 am
It has a pretty strong taste, much stronger than honey.

Inspired

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 9:39 am
It tastes like very mild mollases.
I use it for all my baking, salad dressing, and stuff like that. If you like sweet tea it won't help you with that.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 10:02 am
I meant health wise, not taste wise. I made cookies for shabbat and they were absolutely evil (they were so good they were evil)

Inspired

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 10:14 am
I only use it in recipes that call for honey. I don't know how to sub honey for sugar, but if you do you can use silan.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 10:18 am
Inspired wrote:
I only use it in recipes that call for honey. I don't know how to sub honey for sugar, but if you do you can use silan.
I never use sugar. I was subing honey for sugar, so I just figured I would sub the silan in place of that. I thought that it was maybe better than honey.

Seraph

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 10:54 am
Just check that the silan you're using is actually pure date syrup, and not date syrup mixed with sugar syrup. The cheap stuff is a sugar syrup/date syrup mix.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 11:43 am
Seraph wrote:
Just check that the silan you're using is actually pure date syrup, and not date syrup mixed with sugar syrup. The cheap stuff is a sugar syrup/date syrup mix.
No, of course I checked that before I bought it Smile
It is 100% dates. and delicious I might add. The cookies that I made (with no sugar, no oil, no flour) were to die for Smile

Seraph

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 11:57 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Seraph wrote:
It is 100% dates. and delicious I might add. The cookies that I made (with no sugar, no oil, no flour) were to die for Smile
Recipe please?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 12:13 pm
Seraph wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Recipe please?
I used the Lubavitch cook book chocolate chip recipe and substituted almost everything. I am going to get the cookbook and write it all down. (page 398)

I used:
1 cup home made apple sauce (in place of oil/marg.)
about 3/4 cup date syrup (in place of 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs (still looking for a sub for that. I just heard about flax seed, I have to read up on that one)
2 cups bran - I crushed non sugar bran flakes (in place of 2 /12 cups flour)
1 tsp baking powder
and I added a few chocolate chips but I am sure that it would have been delicious without them as well.

bake them for about 15 - 20 minutes, you have to keep on checking them, but I took them out when they were a bit chewy still on 350 F (about 180 C)

Seraph

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 12:44 pm
Ok, no bran for me. Doesn't work for me. Thanks anyhow.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 12:47 pm
Seraph wrote:
Ok, no bran for me. Doesn't work for me. Thanks anyhow.
Well, you can use flour or if not, I think I tried it once with oats. That was just one of the things that I substituted, you can do your own variation Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking