Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
All kids same style name?
Previous  1  2

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 10:10 am
I don't think my kids follow a "style" at all, though each of them is named for at least one family member.

DS#1 is named for my grandfather and DH's great uncle (we dropped the Hirsch from Tzvi Hirsch; thought 3 names might be too much on a daily basis and we do call him by both).

DS#2's first name is "stam" (it means gift) and his middle name is for my great-uncle (Michael in English, we use the Hebrew).

DS#3's first name was chosen because we liked how it sounded with his middle name, which was my FIL's name "b'tzibbur", and yes, we use both for him as well. Actually, together they are the name of a Rav (chiddushei haRim), but that's not why we chose those names.

Shuly

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 6:27 pm
My kids names are all Tanachi.
Tova, I think I know your SIL's family! What I always thought was funny is that after all the thought that went into their names, they are called by nicknames that don't rhyme...

ElTam

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 10:23 pm
Our kids all have two names, and their Hebrew name is what is on their birth certificate. Nobody has a separate English name. Beyond that, they are different.

DD has a Yiddish name with a modern Israeli name.
DD 2 has a Israeli name with a Tanachi name.
DS has 2 tanachi names, although one of the two is not much used.

It just depended so much on the kid and because we didnt' grow up frum, where we were at that time.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 10:42 pm
I know a family whose mother pointed out to me that her 4 children's names follows their hashkafic change from less to more affiliated Jewishly: I changed the names but heres the basic idea:

1st name is regular English name- ie, Melissa
2nd name is English version of Hebrew name, ie, Judah
3rd is modern Hebrew name, ie Ariella
4th is biblical, ie Yitzchok

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 10:44 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:

How do you know when the baby is born what characteristic s/he has? I, for one, believe that the name makes the person and I proved it. If a child is named "completely" after a grandparent you knew (no additions, no subtractions), you'd very likely see similar qualities in the child. That's why chassidim or chareidim in general name after a Rebbe, Rebbetzin or ancestor they knew and liked.

My son and 3 nephews are all named for my living FIL. Not one of the four has any of his personality traits. My aunt and myself are named after the same person, neither has taken on those traits. The two cousins named for my grandfather, also have none of his personality. We all have exact names nothing added, nothing subtracted. People name exact names because of aliyat ha neshama, not because we expect our childrens personalities to mimic those they are named after.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names