Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Telling boss your preg

amother

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 1:02 pm
Do you tell your boss when you're preg or let him figure it out on his own?
I'm talking about a non-jewish male boss here.
If you do tell, when?

chen

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 1:14 pm
Yes, you do, because your condition may have an impact on your work and because it is considered rude not to. (Plus your boss may have to take that into consideration when making long-range plans.)

When is just before you start to show or earlier if there are special considerations such as that you can't work in an area exposed to radiation or other hazards. You can ask your boss to keep the information confidential. He is legally required to do so because it's medical information, which is protected by confidentiality laws.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 1:47 pm
Yes you should tell him. I was so nervous to tell my boss, but he was really understanding about it and he said he can't be surprised when he hires someone my age. You can ask him not tell anyone in the office. I tol him in my 4th just because I was so nervous that he would find out from someone else.

withhumor

Post Tue, Apr 17 2007, 11:32 pm
chen wrote:
Yes, you do, because your condition may have an impact on your work and because it is considered rude not to.

you don’t realize it, but they probably figured it out base don our hypersensitivity and frustration at minor issues.

It’s not fair to get paid when you’re in this condition unless your boss is aware of it and agrees. Of course legally he can’t send you packing because of it… so don’t be afraid to say.

Good luck trying to tell him without having him say “Awwwwwwwwwww can I touch”

Marion

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 7:07 am
I don't know where you are (because you're Amother), but most places have this covered by local employment/labour law. I know in Israel you MUST tell your employer by the end of your 4th month.

cl

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 8:38 am
In England if u want all ur maternity leave and benefits u need 2 tell them at least 12weeks b4 ur due date altho it makes sense to tell ur boss around the time u start 2 show.
I told my boss around week 18 which is the beginning of the 5th Month.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 8:43 am
except for maternity leave ... why on earth would your boss need to know ... I think I wouldn't say anything until it is obvious - unless it is effecting any areas of the work

Marion

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 9:59 am
greenfire wrote:
except for maternity leave ... why on earth would your boss need to know ... I think I wouldn't say anything until it is obvious - unless it is effecting any areas of the work
Here you are entitled to a certain amount of time off for medical appointments without losing time "off" work. I think that's a good reason to tell my boss. Although my vacation time is generous, I don't want to spend more of it at the doctor than necessary, really.

Based on my experience last time around, it takes time to find and train someone to do your job. Last time they knew at 8 weeks (they were friends and we were excited...); but no one did anything about it until 4 weeks before my due date. I went overdue, but was unable to get to work for the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy, and the person they hired, although very nice, wasn't trained fully when I had to stop working. And sometimes there are things that are affected by a pregnancy, depending on what kind of job you have. (In Israel they can't ask you to work overtime...)

LisaS

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:23 am
Really, Marion? Does that apply only to people working full time? How much time do you get off for appointments?

Marion

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:32 am
40 hours over the course of the pregnancy if you work full time; 20 hours if you're part time.

ora_43

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 7:45 am
You have to tell your employer no matter how many hours you work per week. But AFAIK, it's the end of the fifth month, not the fourth.

middy

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 8:39 am
when I told my boss I was pregnant, she said, "oh I didn't think you were going to try THAT again"!!! Scratching Head
good luck!

tsiggelle

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 10:06 am
middy wrote:
when I told my boss I was pregnant, she said, "oh I didn't think you were going to try THAT again"!!! Scratching Head
good luck!

you could say,"the baby didnt ask me, it came by itself!" LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics