Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Cookbook for Chanukah...which do you suggest
Previous  1  2

insecure6

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 10:56 pm
Tova wrote:
What's the best price now on the BY one?
I looked at the sample pages and while I liked some of it, I wasn't thrilled to see soup mix on the yummy looking zucchini soup (I don't use soup mix so I don't know if this cookbook is worthwhile for me).

OOTBubby- can you confirm the general health aspect of the recipes?

On the other hand, it's an easy gift to tell my MIL who wants to know what I want.

Whats so bad about soup mix? I'm into healthy cooking and prefer all natural but they do sell soup mixes without MSG. Regarding the general health aspect of the book it seems to me to have a little bit of everything.I noticed very few recipes included margarine. That already made it more enticing to me. I love the side notes and meat, wine sections etc....

Maya

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:18 pm
I just received the Bais Yaakov cookbook as a promotion for subscribing to the Mishpacha. It looks really nice, with simple yet good recipes. The graphics make it look really professional.

Grandma 1

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 11:23 pm
Dash is also a beautiful publication. Just checked it out last week. But as I said in my previous post, about BY ckbk vs. Fresh and Easy, I personally would go with BY ckbk for the least patchkedik recipes.

Tova

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 12:16 am
insecure6 wrote:
Tova wrote:
What's the best price now on the BY one?
I looked at the sample pages and while I liked some of it, I wasn't thrilled to see soup mix on the yummy looking zucchini soup (I don't use soup mix so I don't know if this cookbook is worthwhile for me).

OOTBubby- can you confirm the general health aspect of the recipes?

On the other hand, it's an easy gift to tell my MIL who wants to know what I want.

Whats so bad about soup mix? I'm into healthy cooking and prefer all natural but they do sell soup mixes without MSG. Regarding the general health aspect of the book it seems to me to have a little bit of everything.I noticed very few recipes included margarine. That already made it more enticing to me. I love the side notes and meat, wine sections etc....

Just personal preference. The MSG is one issue obviously and food coloring (sometimes) is another. I'd rather just shake some spices from my collection into a dish than use processed soup mix. Again, just personal preference. My mother never used it so I don't either.

sarahd

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 6:41 am
You can use chicken broth or leftover chicken soup instead. Or you can pass on the soup mix and use spices instead if the soup is too bland.

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 6:56 am
the spice and spirit has just been reprinted if you don't have it.

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 7:03 am
sarahd wrote:
You can use chicken broth or leftover chicken soup instead. Or you can pass on the soup mix and use spices instead if the soup is too bland.

save leftover water from cooking vegetables and use for soup.

bluesclues

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 9:13 am
ok I got the 3 new cookbooks (fresh and easy, dash, and bais yaakov.)
fresh and easy is good it has easy recipes and common ingredients I feel like its for regular dinners.
dash is beautiful and much more complicated I made a main dish from it and dirtied 3 pots(it came out very good) I also made a cake that everyone enjoyed.
bais yaakov I didnt make anything from this yet but it seems to me that it has a little of everything it has more complicated and some easier stuff.

let us know what you decide on.

sarahd

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 10:38 am
Raisin wrote:
sarahd wrote:

save leftover water from cooking vegetables and use for soup.

Ooooh, how did I forget that? I don't think my mother has ever thrown away potato cooking water. She always uses it for soups.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics