Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Do you daven??
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 01 2010, 9:49 pm
Dolphin-your children are your priority but you can still find 3-5 minutes to daven.If you really want you can make it happen. I heard a few times that a woman should daven certain things. My kids learn to say amen to my brochos in the morning and dd has her own sidder to "daven" along with.

Simcha100

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 8:51 am
not having it in my schedule is myi issue. Yes, many days it is hard to even find the time but I do believe even those days if I had it in my schedule I would still find at least a few minutes. This morning, after I put my toddler to sleep I was trying to figure out what I needed to do- there is always things, but instead I went to the computer and this thread reminded me that I didn't daven and now I had the time. If we find time for imamother then we can find time to daven- I am talking to myself. Many days I don't find time for imamother....I also find kriyat shma al hamita very hard, so tired at that point...
I need to ask my LOR what I am required....

hycup

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 9:46 am
melalyse wrote:

This is very beautiful but my Rav holds that a women even with young children must daven 3 times a day. Yes, I have an abridged version of shachris that I went over with him, but according to my Rav it is Halacha.

No such Halacha that I know of. All poskim (ashkanazi) say you must daven something (according to the Rambam). Sephardi women have it easier (there are certain brachas that they are assur to say because they don't have the obligation). Maariv, btw, is not even a chyuv on men. Men took it on themselves to say (like tzitzis), and it certainly, amongst all poskim is not mechuyav on women. So, I don't know where your Rav got this???

For the record, the Chofetz Chaim gave told his wife she was NOT ALLOWED to daven all the while she was raising her children. Although in those days, it was much harder - laundry was a full days work with a servant, you had to cook everything from scratch, and to light a stove was not as simple as turning a knob (read 'My Dearst Children' by Ruchama Shain). Today we have modern conveniences that should (read should, could, would but doesn't) give us more time to daven.

angeli

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 10:12 am
R' Yitchok Kirzner zt'l has a shiur on what davening is and what it isn't. It has helped dispel many misconceptions I have had about davening. He blew me away when he explained what tefila is REALLY all about!
His shiurim are available on his website, in the tefila category. You will never view tefila in the same light again.

hycup

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 2:51 pm
angeli, can you post the web site please?

Yulka

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 5:30 pm
I found the website, but it looks like you have to pay for the classes. www.rabbikirzner.org

saralem

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 12:50 pm
I became frum before Iwas married. I managed to daven mincha through 1st year of marriage. Eventually, it dwindled, with peaks and valleys over the years. I have bli ayin hara many children and work fulltime, as the main financial support for my family. BUT--I NEVER eat a morsel or drink a sip without saying morning brachos. For me, that is iron-clad.
Almost exactly a year ago, close friends of our's lost a young child, lo aleinu, and I felt the need to daven, and to really take this upon myself as a daily commitment, for an aliya for his dear neshama. His 1st yahrtzeit is this week, and as I look back, I feel very happy that I did this. And, I will continue. I think of this darling child , and the comfort I have from doing something for his neshama. And, I have learned to really love my quiet time with Hashem.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 1:00 pm
I am a big advocate on davening. As a mom we need to pray to hashem a lot!!! I know you can do with your own words and I do that a lot but I make a point to daven daily the basics. I daven brochos, shema, ani mamin and whole perek shira every single morning and in the afternoon before it gets dark ashrei and tehillim. I make sure to find time no matter what-with newborns and toddlers and working four days a week last year....

Momkan

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 1:26 pm
I don't daven enough... but am sometimes inspired when I think of this simple advice.... put davening in the same priority as something else in your life.. like putting on makeup.. you make sure to do it even if you "don't have time".. so make davening.. even five minutes of it that kind of priority
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics